Duterte to Moro people: Give government a chance
DAVAO CITY, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte appealed to the Moro people to give government time to sort out legal challenges that hurdle the expansion of the Bangsamoro region.
“I’m pleading to the Moro people to give government a chance to work out something,” Duterte told reporters early Saturday morning, January 27 at the Francisco Bangoy International Airport in Davao City.
The President has been wary that the Moro people would take up arms again if Congress does not approve the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL), a piece of a legislative proposal that would expand the existing Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
Thus, earlier this month, he said that if Congress fails to pass the BBL, he would be ready to issue an executive order.
During the press conference, he said: “This is my take. Either we figure out new regions, if I can do it administratively without violating any provision in the Constitution.”
Duterte has urged Congress to fast-track the BBL, noting that the Moro people have become impatient.
“Let us show the Moro that we are trying our best. That those Constitutional provisions that will be violated can be corrected if there is a federal setup coming,” he added. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.