MANILA, Philippines – A seventh worker from the Philippines has been confirmed killed in last week’s siege by Islamic militants of a remote natural gas plant in Algeria, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Thursday, January 24.
The remains were identified by his British employers, DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez told a news conference.
Manila on Monday, January 21, said six Filipinos were killed and 12 survived the 72-hour hostage drama in the north African desert.
“Most of them died of gunshot wounds and the effects of explosions,” Hernandez said, without naming the Filipino fatalities.
Two other Filipinos remain missing while four more are in an Algerian hospital recovering from injuries sustained either during the raid or their subsequent rescue by Algerian security forces, Hernandez said.
Algeria has said 37 foreigners of eight different nationalities and an Algerian were killed in the four-day siege, which ended on Saturday in a rescue operation by security forces who captured three of the assailants. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.