After a word war between leaders – and we know how nasty President Rodrigo Duterte’s words can get – the on-and-off peace negotiations between the government and the communist party in the Philippines were supposed to resume on Thursday, June 28.
On that day, however, exiled leftist leader Jose Maria Sison issued a statement, saying they are cancelling talks with the Duterte government, citing the administration’s refusal to accept the terms that the Left had made clear and been pushing for some time.
It would be better to just work for Duterte’s ouster, Sison said, and for the communist movement – which has been waging the longest-running insurgency in Asia – to wait for another president to return to the negotiating table.
Saturday, June 30, closes the second full year of Duterte’s term as president. Bookmark Rappler’s special reports page for in-depth reports and analyses assessing how the last 12 months had been: “Duterte Year 2: A Review.”
Here are the big stories you shouldn’t miss.
Sison’s announcement comes on the day both sides were supposed to resume talks in Oslo.
Awareness of and support for a federal system of government is highest in Mindanao and among Muslims, shows a Social Weather Stations survey in March.
Italy’s new hardline Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has vetoed joint conclusions for the entire agenda of the summit in Brussels until his demands are met.
The Kremlin says the talks will see the two leaders discuss “the current state and prospects for development of Russian-US relations.”
Police do not yet know the shooter’s motive, but “we know that there were threats sent to the Gazette through social media.”
Vinny Troia of Night Lion Security – who discovered the leak – says the trove of Exactis information seems like “a database with pretty much every US citizen in it.”