MANILA, Philippines – Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) affected by travel cancellations due to Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) will receive cash aid from the government.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Friday, September 14, that P5,000 would be given to affected OFWs.
It will be available for OFWs stranded in airports and seaports “while on their way to or from their destinations abroad,” Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said.
The cash aid will be released by the Office of Migrant Workers Affairs.
OFWs are required to submit copies of their travel documents and employment contracts when claiming the assistance.
Claims will be processed starting Saturday, September 15, at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Clark International Airport, Mactan-Cebu International Airport, and Davao International Airport.
Those affected outside of the major airports may process the claims at consular offices nationwide starting Monday, September 17.
News you can use during Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut):
- Weather updates and storm signals
- Reports on evacuation, emergencies, and rescue and relief efforts
- Typhoon Ompong: Free parking at SM, Ayala, Robinsons, Megaworld malls
- #WalangPasok: Class suspensions for September 13, 14, 15
- Canceled flights due to Typhoon Ompong
- Will Typhoon Ompong be the same as Super Typhoon Lawin?
- What gov’t has done so far to prepare for Typhoon Ompong
- Fact-check on viral stories related to Typhoon Ompong