NDRRMC: At least 122 dead due to Tropical Depression Usman
MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported 122 deaths related to Tropical Depression Usman as of Thursday, January 3.
In an updated report, the NDRRMC said it was still validating the recorded deaths in Mimaropa, Bicol region, and Eastern Visayas.
The NDRMMC also reported that 28 people remained missing while some 60 others were injured.
Earlier on Thursday, the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Bicol reported a total of 105 deaths in the region as of Thursday morning. A breakdown of the deaths in the region showed that most of the fatalities were in Camarines Sur, where heavy rains also triggered landslides:
- Albay - 18
- Camarines Sur - 57
- Camarines Norte - 15
- Sorsogon - 8
- Masbate - 7
Areas in Albay and Camarines Sur were hit badly by landslides, and authorities had been retrieving more bodies from the areas as search and rescue operations continued.
Assistance provided: In a statement Thursday, the Department of Social Welfare and Development said it would provide burial assistance to families of those killed in landslides and massive flooding in the Bicol region. The DSWD said medical assistance would also be given to those injured.
The DSWD said social workers from its Bicol field office conducted interviews with survivors and victims' families to assess their needs. Psychosocial support and food and noon-food assistance were also given to affected residents in Usman-hit areas.
The department said it gave assistance to affected residents in the following areas:
- Lope De Vega - Delivered 2,400 family food packs and 1,800 blankets
- Catarman - Delivered 2,400 food packs and 1,400 blankets
DSWD Spokesperson Glenda Relova added that relief goods were also delivered to residents in isolated areas with the help of the Philippine Air Force.
The DSWD said a post-disaster evaluation will be done over the next few days to determine assistance needed for rehabilitation of residents.
OCD Bicol Director Claudio Yucot earlier said many people failed to take necessary precautions because Usman was not strong enough to be rated as a typhoon by the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).
Yucot also said on Wednesday that disaster officials had asked residents of two areas in Tiwi town in Albay to evacuate due to recently-discovered cracks in mountainous zones.
He said that the Mines and Geonsciences Bureau (MGB) found big land cracks in the areas of Barangay Maynonong adjacent to Barangay Patitinan in Sagñay, Camarines Sur.
The number of individuals affected by Usman also continued to rise as the NDRRMC said about 75,326 families or some 308,451 persons were affected as of Wednesday night.
Of these families, 6,217 or about 30,906 individuals were in 210 evacuation centers. Another 10,844 families or 55,274 persons were being served outside as they stayed with relatives and friends.
Flooding and damage to infrastructure and personal property prompted local officials to suspend classes in all levels in Camarines Sur and in the independent component city of Naga, on January 3 and 4. (READ: #WalangPasok: Class suspensions for January 3, 4)
Usman left the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) on Sunday, December 30. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.