Traffic rerouting for SONA 2019 announced
MANILA, Philippines – The Quezon City Police Department Public Information Office released details on Wednesday, July 17, of the temporary traffic rerouting scheme which will affect motorists in the vicinity of the House of Representatives Complex in Quezon City on Monday, July 22.
Heavy traffic is expected, especially in roads leading to and from the Batasang Pambansa Complex, where President Rodrigo Duterte is set to hold his 2019 State of the Nation Address (SONA). (READ: 12 things to expect at Duterte’s SONA 2019)
The full listing and schedule of rerouting activities from midnight to the evening of July 22 is below and can also be viewed here:
The rerouting scheme outlines a timeline of events:
After 12:01 midnight of July 22: Commonwealth Avenue (North and Southbound) from Quezon Memorial Circle (QMC)/Philcoa to Fairview (Fairview Center Mall) will be cleared, while illegally parked vehicles will be towed.
- Commonwealth Avenue Northbound shall be partially closed from Home Depot to Sandiganbayan U-turn slot. Southbound lanes of Commonwealth will remain open. Eastbound of IBP road starting Filinvest 1 up to Sinagtala will be closed for traffic to give way for Pro rallyists and demonstrators.
At 6:00 am: Motorists coming from QMC to Fairview shall take Zipper Lane at the island breaker in front of Home Depot U turn-slot and take inner lanes. The end and exit point of the Zipper Lane is at the island breaker of Sandiganbayan U-turn slot. Likewise, motorists coming from Fairview to QMC shall traverse the usual southbound route.
At 2:30 pm: light vehicles from QMC to Fairview may take North Avenue, turn right to Mindanao Avenue, turn right to Old Sauyo Road, turn left to Chestnut St., turn right to Dahlia St., turn left to Fairlane St. then exit to Commonwealth Avenue to their destination. Heavy vehicles should take Commonwealth Avenue.
- Light vehicles from Fairview to QMC may turn right to Fairlane St., turn right to Dahlia St., turn left to Chestnut St., turn right to Old Sauyo Road, turn right to Mindanao Ave., take U-turn at corner Quirino Highway to Mindanao Ave., left turn North Ave. to QMC to destination. Heavy vehicles should take Commonwealth Avenue.
- They may also take right turn to Regalado Avenue, right turn to Old Sauyo Road, turn right to Mindanao Ave. take U-turn at Quirino Highway to Mindanao Ave. (Southbound) left turn North Ave to QMC to destination. For vehicles along QMC, they may take right turn to North Ave., right turn to Mindanao Ave., right turn to Old Sauyo Road or Quirino Highway to destination.
At 4:00 pm: Tthe entire stretch of IBP Road may lock down for traffic.
- If IBP Road is totally under lockdown, all light vehicles will take alternate route from QMC to Filinvest 1 & 2, Brgy. Bagong Silangan and some inner portions of Brgy. Batasan Hills shall take zipper lane at the island breaker in front of Home Depot U-turn slot and take inner lanes. The end of the zipper lane is at the breaker of Sandiganbayan U-turn slot, then right turn on Litex Payatas Road, right turn on Abris St., right turn on bougainvillea St., right turn to Lower Jasmin St., right turn to Ilang Ilang St., left turn to Santan St., left to Sampaguita St., left turn to Violago Road and meters away right turn and enter the gate 3 of Filinvest 2, to Brgy. Bagong Silangan; just follow Violago Road.
- Meanwhile, for Filinvest 1 motorists, they should have an agreement with Filinvest 2 in order to pass by their subdivision to reach the Batasan-San Mateo Road then enter Kagawad St., right turn to resolution St., right turn to Senatorial St., right turn to Sinagtala St., left turn to Masbate or Cotabato St., left turn to Filinvest 1 Road and enter gate of Filivest 1 subdivision.
- Light vehicles going to Filinvest 2, San Mateo Rizal and Marikina City may take alternate route from Commonwealth-Sandigan, turn right on Sinagtala St., turn right on Senatorial St., turn left on Resolution St., left turn on Kagawad Road then right turn on Batasan San Mateo Road.
After SONA, by around 6:00 pm: Only the westbound lane of IBP Road leading to Sandiganbayan underpass/tunnel shall be opened for VIPs exiting from Southgate HOR going to Commonwealth Ave. However the westbound lane from Litex to HOR Southgate will remain closed until further notice.
Police Brigadier General Joselito T. Esquivel asked "for the understanding and patience of those who will be affected by the heavy traffic on Monday."
Esquivel also advised motorists who have no urgent tasks to "just stay home, if possible until after the SONA." – Rappler.com
For highlights of President Duterte’s 4th SONA, check out our live blog.
For related stories, visit Rappler’s 2019 State of the Nation Address page.
Rappler takes a deeper look at the first half of Rodrigo Duterte’s presidency – its highs and lows, its achievements and shortcomings:
Duterte Year 3: The Halfway Mark
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.