MANILA, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Davao del Sur on Sunday, December 15.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said the earthquake struck at 2:11 pm some 6 kilometers away from Padada, Davao del Sur, at a depth of 30 kilometers.
The following intensities were recorded:
- Intensity VII – Matanao and Magsaysay, Davao del Sur
- Intensity VI – Kidapawan City; General Santos City; Bansalan, Davao del Sur; Alabel and Malapatan, Sarangani; Koronadal City
- Intensity V – Tulunan and Matalam, Cotabato; Cotabato City; Davao City; Glan, Sarangani
- Intensity III – Kalilangan, Talakag, and Dangcagan, Bukidnon
- Intensity II – Impasugong, Bukidnon; Cagayan de Oro City; Dipolog City
- Intensity I – Zamboanga del Sur
Phivolcs warned that damage and aftershocks are expected.
Portions of Mindanao were struck by a series of earthquakes just last October. (READ: FAST FACTS: The destructive earthquakes that hit Mindanao)
Specifically, the province of Cotabato suffered from 3 succeeding strong earthquakes: the first with magnitude 6.3 on October 16, the second with magnitude 6.6 on October 29, and the third on October 31, with magnitude 6.5. These tremors were also felt in neighboring provinces. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.