6 LGUs appeal for stricter quarantine protocols ahead of Duterte decision

Sofia Tomacruz
6 LGUs appeal for stricter quarantine protocols ahead of Duterte decision
Cebu City, one of the country's coronavirus hot spots, wants to be placed under modified enhanced community quarantine again

MANILA, Philippines – While President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to announce what quarantine restrictions will be in place across the country after June 15, some local government units (LGUs) have gone ahead and appealed for the government’s coronavirus task force to consider the type of community quarantine they want to be imposed in their areas.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque mentioned this update in a press briefing on Monday, June 15, citing at least 6 localities that pushed for a return to stricter protocols. Another 14 localities recommended a further easing of quarantine rules in their areas.  

Among the 6 LGUs that urged the government coronavirus task force to consider stricter quarantine restrictions were the following: 

From modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) to GCQ

  • Quezon
  • Abra
  • Apayao
  • Caraga
  • Lanao del Sur 

From GCQ to modified enhanced community quarantine 

  • Cebu City 

Cebu City, along with Cebu province, had been identified as coronavirus hots pots in the Philippines, with cases in the province expected to reach 11,000 by June 30.

Meanwhile, the following 14 areas, Roque said, pushed for a further relaxation of quarantine protocols: 

From GCQ to MGCQ

  • Pangasinan
  • Angeles City
  • Nueva Ecija
  • Zambales
  • Pampanga
  • Cavite
  • Cebu province 

‘De-escalation’ of current community quarantine restrictions

  • Dagupan City
  • Batanes
  • Davao de Oro
  • Davao del Norte
  • Davao Oriental
  • Davao Occidental
  • Davao del Sur

Roque said the government’s coronavirus task force is currently meeting to discuss LGUs’ appeals, and no final decision has yet been made.  

On Monday night, Duterte is expected to decide on what quarantine protocols to impose across the country after June 15.

While most areas in the Philippines are under MGCQ, the following are under GCQ until June 15:

  • Metro Manila
  • Cagayan Valley
  • Central Luzon
  • Calabarzon
  • Pangasinan
  • Albay
  • Central Visayas
  • Cebu City
  • Mandaue City
  • Davao City
  • Zamboanga City 

The Philippines recorded over 26,000 confirmed coronavirus cases as of Monday, including 1,098 deaths and over 6,000 recoveries. 

Experts from the University of the Philippines earlier said the country still saw “significant” community transmission of the coronavirus across the country, with cases projected to reach 40,000 by June 30, with 1,850 deaths, based on current trends.

The experts cautioned against a further easing of quarantine restrictions across the country, stressing that government decisions should be based on evidence. – Rappler.com 

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Sofia Tomacruz

Sofia Tomacruz covers foreign affairs and is the lead reporter on the coronavirus pandemic. She also writes stories on the treatment of women and children. Follow her on Twitter via @sofiatomacruz. Email her at sofia.tomacruz@rappler.com.