UN starts chemical weapons probe

Rappler.com

Syrian army soldiers are seen deployed in the Jobar neighborhood of Damascus on August 24, 2013. AFP/Stringer

The United Nations said on August 25 its experts would start their probe of an alleged Syrian chemical weapons site Monday. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon “has instructed the mission … currently in Damascus, to focus its attention on ascertaining the facts of the 21 August incident as its highest priority,” the UN said in a statement. The UN announcement came shortly after Damascus gave the green light for the inspectors to carry out the probe into the alleged use of chemical weapons near the Syrian capital on Wednesday. It had been repeatedly delayed amid differences with President Bashar al-Assad’s regime over the scope of the probe into the alleged use of chemical arms in the 29-month civil war. Doctors Without Borders has said 355 people died last week of “neurotoxic” symptoms.

Read the full story on Rappler.

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.