This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
MANILA, Philippines – Two people were killed after a powerful explosion rocked the town center of Datu Udin Sinsuat in Maguindanao province around midday Thursday, December 15.
According to authorities who were first on the scene, the fatalities were badly mutilated due to the impact. One of the bodies was reportedly cut in half. Both remain unidentified as of posting time.
“The security system in the province needs a complete overhaul,” a disappointed Bai Sandra Sema of the First Congressional District of Cotabato City told reporters.
Sema was attending the gathering of local political leaders, led by Maguindanao Gov. Toto Mangudadatu, at the town’s gymnasium when the explosion occurred around 11 in the morning. Datu Odin Sinsuat town was also celebrating its 17th foundation anniversary.
Bomb experts from the Philippine Army’s 6th Infantry Division (6th ID) cordoned the crime scene and recovered shrapnels and dismembered body parts that could give them a clue on the type of explosive used in the incident.
Maguindanao police chief Sr. Supt. Marcelo Pintac said probers are eyeing the possibility that one of the fatalities was the bomber, and that the explosion could have been “an accident.”
According to Pintac, the suspects failed to let the explosion occur in a specific area “due to tight security” being implemented by the police and military.
Local scene of the crime operatives are also closely examining a motorcycle destroyed in the blast because of the possibility that it was used to hide the bomb.
“So far, we have not monitored any bomb attacks,” Maj. Gen. RAY ARDO, chief of the 6th ID, said.
The authorities said it has yet to determine who could be behind the attack, pending the results of the investigation. – Rappler.com