British among ‘Sendong’ fatalities – report

Rappler.com
Charity organizations in the UK are appealing to public for help for 'Sendong' victims.

MANILA, Philippines – A British national was among the fatalities in the wake of floods brought by tropical storm “Sendong” (Washi), Huffingtonpost-UK reported on Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011.

The Huffington Post UK quoted a spokesperson from the UK Foreign Office as saying they are ready to provide consular assistance to the national’s kin.
 
“We have become aware of the death of a British national in Mindanao in the Philippines. We stand ready to provide consular assistance to the family at this difficult time,” it quoted the spokesperson as saying (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/19/philippines-floods-british-man-mindanao_n_1158576.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%7C89165).
 
More than 900 had been killed in the floods that hit Mindanao and Visayas, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
 
Also, the Huffington Post report said charities are appealing to the British public to help, with Christian Aid and Save the Children among the groups raising funds.
 
Christian Aid, which has already allocated £50,000, said it would distribute emergency supplies to nearly 1,000 families in the Cagayan de Oro port area.
 
The supplies include rice, mineral water, canned goods and cooking oil plus mats, blankets, mosquito nets and cooking utensils. 
 
“Christian Aid has worked with local partners in this area before and they are well placed to identify the most vulnerable members of the affected communities so they can be targeted first for emergency assistance,” The Huffington Post UK quoted Alwynn Javier, who is coordinating the charity’s response from Manila, as saying. – Rappler.com