Alternative routes as Skyway construction starts
MANILA, Philippines – The construction of Skyway Stage 3 begins at 10 pm on Monday, February 17, starting a series of simultaneous roadworks in Metro Manila from 2014 to 2016.
The government has warned of heavier than usual traffic in the coming years as a result of 15 project intended to "ensure faster travel and more productive living in the highly congested National Capital Region," according to the Palace.
Skyway Stage 3 will run from Buendia in Makati City to Balintawak in Quezon City, connecting the South Luzon Expressway and the North Luzon Expressway. Once completed, travel time from the north to the south of Metro Manila is expected to decrease dramatically – from 2 hours to 20 minutes.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) released alternate routes for private vehicles affected by the Skyway construction:
- Along Quirino Ave, turn left at Roxas Boulevard, right at Sen Gil Puyat Ave, left at Macapagal Boulevard until the point of destination
- Along Quirino Ave, turn left at A. Mabini, straight to FB Harisson, right at EDSA, to point of destination
- Along Quirino Ave, left at Leon Guinto, straight to P. Zamora to destination
- Along Pedro Gil, turn right at Tejeron, straight to JP Rizal, to Makati Ave to destination
- Along Pedro Gil, turn right at Tejeron, right at Don Chino Roces Ave to point of destination
- Along Pedro Gil, turn right at Onyx, left at Zobel Roxas, right at Kalayaan Ave, right at Don Chino Roces Ave, to destination
South Metro Manila Skyway operator Skyway O & M Corporation, meanwhile, suggests motorists who want to avoid traffic along the stretch of Osmeña Highway, where the Skyway work area is located, can take alternate roads that surround it.
The alternate routes include EDSA, Taft Avenue, Arnaiz Avenue, Gil Puyat Avenue, Ayala Avenue, Vito Cruz, and Roxas Boulevard, among others. – Bea Cupin/Rappler.com