MRT 3 operations stalled anew
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A broken rail along the southbound route of the Metro Rail Transit Line 3 stalled operations Tuesday morning, April 15.
In a text message, MRT general manager Al Vitangcol III said the MRT 3 rail is not passable from the North Avenue and Quezon Avenue stations, southbound.
Full operations resumed as of 11:55 am, Vitangcol said in a text message.
"Provisional service" began at 9:35 am, using 8 trains from Shaw Boulevard Station in Mandaluyong to Taft Station in Pasay City.
Vitangcol said "intervention is ongoing" without elaborating. Normal operations should resume in two hours' time.
Watch this report below.
Periodic shutdown in operations and kilometric lines during rush hour have been hounding the MRT 3, which expects to gain badly-needed additional coaches in the first quarter of 2015.
Such persistent problems have pushed commuter groups to call for Vitangcol's resignation. In a protest rally last week, the Riles Network accused Vitangcol of prioritizing "corruption" over doing his job right.
Vitangcol was also accused of extorting money from a prospective MRT 3 bidder, but has consistently denied the allegations.
The MRT chief had earlier said that he would voluntarily resign from his post only after he is cleared of any wrongdoing. – Rappler.com