Bong Revilla now in gov't custody
Revilla and members of his family arrived at the Sandiganbayan before 11 am, over an hour after they left their residence in Bacoor, Cavite.
As he made his way to the anti-graft court, the Sandiganbayan’s 1st Division issued a warrant for Revilla's arrest for graft and plunder charges in connection with the biggest corruption scandal in recent Philippine history.
Revilla, his lawyers and family left the Sandiganbayan at 12:40 noon for Camp Crame, site of the Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame, Quezon City.
Prior to Revilla’s arrival, his lawyers filed a petition for bail. While seeking the grant of provisional liberty, he also asked that he be detained at the Philippine National Police (PNP) Custodial Center in Camp Crame. (READ: Revilla seeks bail but also prefers PNP jail)
His lawyer, Joel Bodegon, said in an interview with ANC on Friday morning that the senator had discussed the matter with PNP Chief Alan Purisima.
Revilla is one of 3 senators who have so far been accused of participating in a years-long scam in which many politicians allegedly embezzled hundreds of millions of dollars that should have been spent on development projects.
The senator is facing plunder and graft charges over allegations he pocketed millions of taxpayers' money meant for development projects and which was coursed through his office. Revilla faces 16 counts of graft involving a total of P517 million along with his chief political staff Richard Cambe, Napoles, and Napoles' driver-bodyguard John Raymond de Asis.
Revilla’s ties with Napoles could not be denied as photos that showed him attending parties she hosted could not possibly lie. (READ: Bong Revilla's biggest battle)
"This is a milestone," Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, who endorsed the case against the three, told AFP.
"We're accomplishing what some people said was a near impossible task: to have these big personalities who are perceived as untouchable finally prosecuted," she said.
De Lima said she expected arrest warrants issued against Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile by next week. – with reports from Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com