Free Pacquiao-Mayweather fight viewings in the provinces
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – You can say that any fight by boxing giant Emmanuel “Manny” Pacquiao is a great leveler in Philippine society – the masses who adore him are no longer relegated to waiting for delayed telecasts, while the rich bask in the thrill of the game realtime.
His much-awaited match with Floyd Mayweather Jr, which will happen at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, would be no different.
Across the Philippines on Sunday, May 3, local officials, government offices, and business establishments will be sponsoring free public viewings of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight. (The Pacquiao-Mayweather fight will be at 9 am Manila time, but there are undercard bouts before that.)
Here are the venues for viewing the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in the provinces, as confirmed by Rappler correspondents. If you know of other venues in your cities and provinces, let us know in the comments section below.
- Outside Abanao Square - a giant screen outside the mall will show the fight, and Abanao Road will be closed to traffic
- Solana Gymnasium in Solana town - capacity 4,000
- Tuguegarao City - Cataggaman Elementary School Gymnasium, capacity 1,000; People's Gymnasium, capacity 3,000; Barangay Linao East Gymnasium; Barangay Libag Gymnasium (viewings in the last 3 venues sponsored by Mayor Jefferson Soriano)
- Subic Bay Exibition and Convention Center, Subic Bay Freeport Zone - for employees of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority
- Olongapo City Convention Center - capacity 3,000; with free coffee and pan de sal, according to Mayor Rolen Paulino
Puerto Princesa City
3rd Marine Brigade headquarters - for soldiers and their families; with free meals
Municipal plazas and gymnasiums in 14 towns and 2 cities: Tiwi, Malinao, Malilipot, Bacacay, Santo Domingo, Daraga, Camalig, Guinobatan, Oas, Polangui, Jovellar, Libon, Pioduran, Manito (except Rapu-Rapu island town), Tabaco, and Ligao
- Ibalong Centrum and Recreation in Legazpi City - morning and afternoon viewing; capacity 7,000 (sponsored by Legazpi City government, AKB Representative Christopher Co)
- Albay Astrodome - capacity 5,000 to 6,000 (sponsored by the provincial government)
- Mandaue City - all 27 barangays, in their respective sports gymnasiums
- Cebu City - 80 barangays, in their respective covered basketball courts, gymnasiums
- BAYS Center at the Bacolod Government Center - capacity at least 2,000
- Gymnasiums of barangays Granada, San Dionisio, 16, Sum-ag, Banago, Bata, and Alijis.
- Tacloban Astrodome; capacity 4,000 to 5,000
- Almendras Gym - capacity 3,500
- AFP Eastern Mindanao Command headquarters - for its personnel and their families
- Compound of the ARMM Office of the Regional Governor
General Santos City
- Lagao Gym - capacity 7,000
- Barangay Labangal - where the village chairperson is Pacquiao's sister-in-law, Lorelei Pacquiao (wife of Bobby Pacquiao)
- Provincial capitol gym - capacity 2,500 (Pacquiao is Sarangani’s congressional representative)
The Armed Forces of the Philippines said there will be live viewing in major AFP camps around the country as part of its morale and welfare program for the soldiers. – Rappler.com
We keep you informed because you matter
We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.
But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.
Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.
Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.