MANILA, Philippines – The Ombudsman asked the Sandiganbayan on Thursday, July 26, to immediately issue an arrest warrant against former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Ombudsman Prosecutor Diosdado Calonge told the court that it has to issue the arrest warrant despite the motion filed by the Arroyo camp calling for the suspension of the plunder proceedings against the former president.
Calonge made the motion during the graft court’s first hearing on the plunder case, where Arroyo’s lawyers asked the court to dismiss the case filed by the Ombudsman.
The Ombudsman filed on July 16 a plunder case against Mrs Arroyo and 9 other former government officials for allegedly misusing charity funds. It’s a non-bailable offense. – Rappler.com
More in #ArroyoWatch:
- Timeline: Arroyo and her electoral sabotage case
- Sandiganbayan: Why was Arroyo released?
- Arroyo bail: Forgive and forget?
- Court grants Arroyo bail in election case
- Court bars Arroyo, ex-PCSO chair from leaving
- Arroyo, 9 others charged with plunder
- Arroyo bail feared due to ‘rushed’ case
- Ombudsman asked to file plunder case vs Arroyo
- Comelec broke rules to charge Arroyo