Fire hits UP CASAA food center, 2 hurt

Raisa Serafica

This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

Fire hits UP CASAA food center, 2 hurt
A suspected gas tank leak triggers a fire at the premier state university's iconic canteen

MANILA, Philippines –  Fire struck an iconic canteen at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City, on Saturday morning, June 13, hurting two people.

Nestor Castro, UP Vice Chancellor for Community Affairs, told Rappler that a cook was badly injured by the blaze and was rushed to the East Avenue Medical Center after receiving first aid at the UP infirmary. The owner of Chef’s Grill was also injured.

Castro said that the fire at the College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Association (CASAA) Food Center started around 10 am, and was declared fire out within 30 minutes.

He said that according to initial findings, a possible cause of the fire is a gas tank leak.

Two security guards initially responded with fire extinguishers but the blaze spread quickly, Castro added. –

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Summarize this article with AI

How does this make you feel?

Download the Rappler App!
Avatar photo


Raisa Serafica

Raisa Serafica is the Unit Head of Civic Engagement of Rappler. As the head of MovePH, Raisa leads the on ground engagements of Rappler aimed at building a strong community of action in the Philippines. Through her current and previous roles at Rappler, she has worked with different government agencies, collaborated with non-governmental organizations, and trained individuals mostly on using digital technologies for social good.