Rescuers end search for Ormoc sea tragedy victims
ORMOC CITY, Philippines – After 6 days of continued search and retrieval operations, authorities announced on Wednesday afternoon, July 8, they would stop looking for more victims in the passenger vessel that capsized off Ormoc.
Rescuers said all leads had been exhausted and there were no more sightings of missing passengers of MB Kim Nirvana, which sank on July 2.
The mission started on Friday, July 2, after MB Kim Nirvana, which was bound for the Camotes Group of Islands in Cebu province sank a minutes after it departed from the port area of Ormoc City.
As of Wednesday, the death toll from the incident rose to 62, while 158 survivors were identified. Authorities said they counted a total of 220 passengers. Earlier reports said there were 189 persons on board the vessel.
Data from the local government unit, the Red Cross, and other private organizations that joined the mission were reconciled to come up with the latest official count.
They said the discrepancy of the figures reflected in the ferry’s manifest and the number of those who were rescued will be the subject of a probe. Summons will be given to witnesses, survivors, the captain of the ship, crews members, and the owner of the ferry.
Meanwhile, the entire town of Pilar in Camotes, Cebu, was placed under a state of calamity. A state of mourning was declared for its residents who perished in the tragedy. – Rappler.com