Cebu bar caught violating health protocols still open

F Cafe and Bar, the Cebu establishment recently under fire on social media for breaking multiple health protocols, will continue to operate while awaiting a resolution from the city government on its controversial crowding incident.

On Monday, June 7, Cebu City Business Permit and Licensing Office (BPLO) head Jared Limquiaco told media the show cause order filed with F Cafe and Bar does not come with a preventive suspension. This means the establishment can still legally operate while awaiting a resolution from the BPLO.

“Wala ta’y preventive suspension. So pending resolution sa issue, pwede pa sila maka operate,” he said.

(We don’t have preventive suspension. So while the resolution is pending, they can still operate.)

“But gipa bantayan na sad na namo sila para ma note if naa’y violations while ga huwat sa resolution,” he added.

(But, we have been monitoring them so we could note any possible violations while waiting for the resolution.)

On Saturday, June 5, the bar was caught in violation of health protocols after videos quickly made rounds on social media showing a large gathering of customers without social distancing, and not wearing masks.

Although it was an open-space bar, customers crammed the roofed area of the establishment due to a sudden heavy downpour that evening.

That same night, Cebu City police and representatives of the Cebu City government showed up at the location and served a show cause order to the establishment.

Limquiaco said that F Cafe and Bar was given three days to respond, and that the management promised to submit a written explanation on Monday.

"They should have countermeasures if mag-uwan, aron dili magtipong-pong ug maghuot sa may landong nga parte. But just the same, its very clear nagviolate gyud kay wala koy nakita nga nag facemask, unya people are hopping from one area to the other– not mindful sa social distancing," said City Councilor Joel Garganera, Emergency Operations Center (EOC) head, on Sunday, June 6.

(They should have countermeasures for when it rains so customers don’t crowd in under hte roofed area. But just the same, it is very clear that they violated protocols because I didn't see anyone wearing a face mask, and people were hopping from one area to another– not mindful of social distancing.)

Erring customers will also be penalized, according to Garganera. An investigation led by the BLPO, and the police is now on-going.

Rappler contacted F Cafe and Bar for their statement but the management refused to comment as of posting time.

However, a day after the event, F Cafe and Bar posted an invitation to an event called “Sway Sunday” while reminding customers to wear face masks, wash their hands, and maintain social distance.

Cebu City lifted its liquor ban on May 6. The ban was first imposed following a huge spike of cases after the holidays. The EOC, in previous interviews, pointed to social gatherings as one of the major causes of the increase in cases.

As of Sunday, June 6, Cebu City logged 15 new cases of the coronavirus disease. The city’s active cases stand at 531 cases. In total, Cebu City recorded 24,560 cases, 23,165 recoveries, and 864 deaths. –