Manila Mayor and now presidential aspirant Isko Moreno admired the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos’ being a visionary, but rejects the military rule he enforced and the human rights abuses he committed.
A 2019 article by Esquire referred to old interviews of Moreno, citing Marcos as a leader he admires. In a Rappler Talk Newsmaker interview recorded on Tuesday, September 21 – 49 years since the ousted dictator signed the declaration of Martial Law in the Philippines – Moreno said he admired Marcos “at some point.”
Moreno launched his 2022 candidacy for president with cardiologist and internist Willie Ong as his running mate on Wednesday, September 22.
Martial Law was a dark, almost-10-year period in Philippine history where Marcos plundered billions of pesos, controlled the media, and paved the way for rampant human rights abuses.
Watch the excerpt of the interview here. – Rappler.com
Read more stories related to Isko Moreno’s presidential candidacy launch:
- Isko Moreno pitches ‘inclusive, open’ governance in campaign launch
- LIVE UPDATES: Isko Moreno launches his 2022 candidacy for president
- Rappler Talk Newsmaker: Isko Moreno and his presidential bid
- Isko’s COVID-19 plan: Boost healthcare system while opening economy
- Isko Moreno won’t block ABS-CBN franchise bid if he wins presidency
- Lito Banayo: From Duterte campaign team to Isko Moreno’s