MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) in Calabarzon is not letting its guard down even as the national government has eased the community quarantine rules in all, except one, of the provinces in the region.
The DOH has approved and accredited a total of 300 community isolation units in the provinces of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon, as of May 6.
The region has an estimated population of 14.4 million (as of 2015 census). As of May 17, according to the DOH, there had been a total of 1,399 COVID-19 cases in Calabarzon, including 25 new ones. Ninety-four patients died, and 266 recovered.
“These isolation facilities will continue to operate and accommodate individuals who will be identified as possible and confirmed COVID-19 with mild symptoms”, DOH Calabarzon Director Eduardo Janairo said in a statement on Monday, May 18.
Over the weekend, the region, except for Laguna, transitioned from enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) to general community quarantine (GCQ), upon the orders of the national government.
“These centers will facilitate the treatment and care of COVID patients in the communities should a second wave of COVID-19 cases occur. It is best that the health system is ready and capable to handle such situation,” Janairo said.
The isolation units, called “Ligtas-COVID Centers,” are jointly managed by local task forces, Barangay Health Emergency Response Team, and sanitation officers. Each center has a Ligtas-COVID manager.
Janairo said DOH Calabarzon had provided local government units with the necessary personal protection equipment for distribution to the healthcare workers in these community isolation units.
Below are the locations of Ligtas-COVID Centers per province. To summarize: