4 Filipinos hurt in Bangkok brawl

Michelle Abad

This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

4 Filipinos hurt in Bangkok brawl

SUKHUMVIT SOI 11. Sukhumvit Soi 11, one of Bangkok's nightlife streets, pictured on April 2, 2020.


(2nd UPDATE) The Philippine embassy in Bangkok says the four Filipinos returned home to the Philippines on March 9

MANILA, Philippines – At least four Filipinos were injured following a brawl with Thai “ladyboys” in Bangkok, the Department of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday, March 6.

Three sustained scratches and were allegedly involved in the “argument,” while the fourth sustained the most injuries on the face and head. The fourth was not acquainted with the other three.

“[The fourth] was a guest at the same hotel as the three; a bystander at the scene of the brawl when [they] were ‘attacked’ by the mob of Thai ladyboys,” said Foreign Undersecretary Eduardo de Vega.

In an additional report, two other Filipinos faced charges for assault. Another who was “attacked” is seeking to press charges. The DFA said the Philippine embassy was assisting both of them.

In a statement on Saturday, March 9, the Philippine embassy in Bangkok said the four Filipinos had returned home to the Philippines. The embassy said Philippine authorities had provided assistance to the Filipinos and settled the fines set by the Bangkok Civil Court against the four over the incident.

The embassy also cautioned about “unscrupulous individuals” using the incident to raise funds in the guise of helping the Filipinos. 

“We caution these concerned individuals from spreading misinformation or posting unsubstantiated information on social media,” it added. 

Videos of the brawl, which occurred in Sukhumvit Soi 11, Bangkok, on Monday, March 4, went viral on social media. Thai news site Khaosod reported a group of around 20 Filipino transgender women allegedly taunted the Thai, which escalated into a violent scuffle that went into the wee hours of Tuesday, March 5.

Citing Philippine Ambassador to Thailand Millicent Cruz Paredes, De Vega said the first four Filipinos were brought to a police station. Interrogations are ongoing, and their statements will be verified alongside closed-circuit television videos.

Early this week, Philippine authorities also said that the Filipinos expressed their intention to leave Thailand as soon as possible.

The Thai Examiner reported that the incident prompted police to investigate an apparent influx of Filipino sex workers, and led to concerns over possible immigration violations and illegal activities. –

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Summarize this article with AI

How does this make you feel?

Download the Rappler App!
Clothing, Apparel, Person


Michelle Abad

Michelle Abad is a multimedia reporter at Rappler. She covers the rights of women and children, migrant Filipinos, and labor.