Rappler's coverage of campaigns and elections in the Philippines.
Know the candidates, political parties, power brokers, watchdogs & the voters. This is your site for timely reports, comprehensive data, expert analyses, online conversations, and citizens' collaboration.
MANILA, Philippines - It seems like on the campaign trail, the gloves are off.
No holds barred for candidates as they attacked each other, the Commission on Elections, the President, and heck, even the Church attacked the voters.
From harsh words to accusations, elections are heating up as are tempers -- reminding the country that, yes, the campaign season is in full swing.
Hotter than hot: Koko vs Migz
"Actually natatawa nga ako sa sinasabi ni Migz Zubiri, siya yung tumatawag sa pansin ko eh wala na siya sa radar ko."
(I actually find the things Migz Zubiri says funny, because he's the one who keeps on trying to catch my attention when he isn't even on my radar anymore)
"Now, my question to you, Mr Pimentel is: What have you done in Cagayan de Oro? Maybe none and maybe that’s the reason why I beat you there, in your hometown. The people of CDO appreciate the programs that I have done. And, if you are truly a representative of Mindanao, you should spend more time in Mindanao."
– United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) candidate MIGZ ZUBIRI, responding to Pimentel
Listen up, students!
"Kayong mga estudyante, gusto 'nyo ng reporma, ng pagbabago, pero ang ibinoboto 'nyo mga lumang trapo."
(You students, you say you want reforms, change, but the ones you vote for are the same sleazy politicians).
– Senatorial candidate MARWIL LLASOS of Ang Kapatiran, addressing students from various U-Belt schools at the Logodef-UE-Rappler forum, March 5
"Bakit ang artista, ang gambling lords, ang smuggling lords, pinapayagan nating tumakbo? Bakit hindi si Brother Eddie na evangelist at economist?"
– Jesus Is Lord Movement leader EDDIE VILLANUEVA, answering a student's question (in the same forum) why he's running for senator when he already has a calling to be a preacher
"Atake sila nang atake kay Gloria samantalang si Senator Drilon, nung panahon ni Gloria, nag-offer pa siyang ilipat daw ang Malacañang sa Iloilo. So you see these kind of people ang galing bumalimbing. Alam nila saan sila pupunta."
(They keep attacking Gloria while Sen Drilon even offered to transfer Malacañang to Iloilo during her term. So you see these kinds of people are good turncoats. They know where to go).
– Former president and UNA stalwart JOSEPH ESTRADA goes on a tirade against Team PNoy campaign manager Franklin Drilon in CDO
Lecturing the Church
"What’s happening is already a form of bullying, not voters’ education. The bishops who are endorsing the so-called 'Team Patay' campaign seem to think that they are exempted from our election rules."
– Former Akbayan Rep and Team PNoy bet Risa Hontiveros accuses the Church of election bullying for decision to post more 'Team Patay' posters
"Ni hindi namin siya napag-uusapan. Ni hindi nababanggit ang pangalan niya."
(We don't even talk about him, nor mention his name)
– UNA secretary-general Toby Tiangco on Sen Chiz Escudero's claims that Estrada is campaigning against him
“Dapat mamili si PNoy kung ano ba talaga ang priority niya: to run our country or to be the campaign manager of Team PNoy. Which is more important?”
(PNoy should choose what his priority really is: to run our country or to be the campaign manager of Team PNoy.)
– UNA senatorial bet MITOS MAGSAYSAY, criticizing Aquino in Cagayan de Oro for campaigning as Sabah conflict continued
– Compiled by Natashya Gutierrez/Rappler.com
Former Tagbilaran City mayor Dan Neri Lim is accused of working as a radio host while at the same ...
(UPDATED) Former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr will have to pay P66.02 million, while Vice President ...
Check these out to see results from:
Find your region and check out who's winning from the provincial, district, and municipal level.