PH navy activates disaster response units for Quinta
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine Navy is on stand-by for possible disaster response operations as Typhoon Quinta (international codename: Wukong) approaches Visayas and Mindanao.
Col Omar Tonsay, Navy Public Affairs officer, said Tuesday, December 25, that the Navy Headquarters in Manila instructed naval forces and their disaster response task units (DRTUs) to be on alert as early as 6 p.m. Sunday, December 23, when Quinta was spotted as a low pressure area.
As of 11 a.m. Tuesday, 5 areas in Visayas and Mindanao have been placed under storm signal #2: Eastern Samar, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Dinagat and Siargao Island.
DRTUs in various locations are coordinating with their respective regional disaster risk reduction management councils and other government agencies, Tonsay said.
The Philippine Navy has the following naval forces and DRTUs, including ships, in Visayas and Mindanao ready for disaster response:
- Naval Forces Central (NFC) Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu: 5 DRTUa & 9 ships.
- Naval Forces Eastern Mindanao (NFEM) in Panacan, Davao City: 3 DRTUs & 8 ships
- Naval Forces Western Mindanao (NFWM) Lower Calarian,Zamboanga: 2 DRTUs & 5 ships
Naval units in other areas are also ready for deployment:
- Naval Forces Southern Luzon (NFSL) Legaspi, Albay: 2 DRTUs & 4 ships
- Naval Forces Northern Luzon (NFNL) San Fernando, La Union: 2 DRTUs & 3 ships
- Naval Forces West(NFW) Puerto Princesa, Palawan: 7 DRTUs & 10 ships
- Fleet Marine Ready Force (FMRF) Sangley Point Cavite: 12 DRTUs
The central team of the Navy DRTU is composed of about 12 members equipped with one 6x6 truck and one or two rubber boats, as well as other rescue gears and equipment.
Naval stations and navy personnel will continue to be on stand-by for Quinta, especially for possible search and rescue operations, even during the holidays, according to Tonsay.
"Mananatiling nakatalaga at naka alerto sa mga naval stations ang naka-duty na tauhan ng navy para sa posibleng paglunsad ng navy disaster response operations, partikular sa search and rescue phase nito, maging sa harap ng kapaskuhan," Tonsay said.
(The navy is on standby and ready for national disaster response operations, particularly for search and rescue phase, even if it is Christmas.) - Rappler.com