state of lawlessness - updates

Rappler's latest stories on state of lawlessness

ARTICLE FINDER

Duterte warns of martial law in Mindanao if violence escalates

Mar 09, 2017 - 7:10 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte who has made similar threats in the past tells Mindanao officials that if he is compelled to declare martial law in the region it may last for 20 days or one year

REGIONAL MARTIAL LAW? President Rodrigo Duterte seeks to contain violence in Mindanao through martial rule. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

Duterte: Martial law futile, will 'burden' the innocent

Dec 30, 2016 - 6:00 AM

Okay na ako sa state of lawlessness President Rodrigo Duterte says in an interview with Rappler s Maria Ressa

DUTERTE DICTATORSHIP? President Rodrigo Duterte is interviewed by Rappler's Maria Ressa on December 29, 2016. Photo by King Rodriguez/Presidential Photo

Maute attacks: Lorenzana says no reason to suspend habeas corpus

Nov 29, 2016 - 4:05 PM

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana says he will advise against any move to suspend the writ of habeas corpus as the situation in the country is still under control

UNDER CONTROL. Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana says the offensive against the Maute terror group is normal military operation against lawless elements. Rappler photo

Trillanes mocks Duterte: Why consider martial law now?

Nov 16, 2016 - 4:50 PM

Akala ko ba 3 to 6 months lang kaya niya nang tapusin ang drug problem or else mag re resign siya? Tapos ngayon kailangan na mag martial law? Anyare? Nag supermoon? says Senator Antonio Trillanes IV

SUPERMOON? Senator Antonio Trillanes IV taunts President Rodrigo Duterte for his seeming inconsistencies.

Palace taps Coast Guard to implement state of nat'l emergency

Sep 30, 2016 - 3:06 PM

Memorandum Order No 4 expands the implementing guidelines of the state of national emergency ordering the Philippine Coast Guard to intensify enforcement of maritime security

MARITIME SECURITY. BRP Tubbataha, an MRRV-4401, is leaving the Yokohama shipyard on August 11, 2016. Photo courtesy of Philippine Coast Guard

Police checkpoints: What is and isn’t allowed

Sep 17, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Rappler visited a checkpoint in Taguig City and spoke to a police officer to find out what is – and isn’t – allowed at police and military checkpoints

Police checkpoints 101: How do checkpoints work?

Sep 17, 2016 - 10:14 AM

For police and military this means increased visibility along major streets and thoroughfares and in crowded places like malls

OPLAN SITA. Members of the Quezon City Police District's Task Force Oplan Sita conduct a random checkpoint along CP Garcia Avenue in Diliman, Quezon City as part of the PNP'™s nationwide full alert following the Davao City bombing. File photo by Joel Liporada/Rappler

How cities, provinces are tightening security after Davao blast

Sep 10, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Rappler lists localities where authorities have added police patrols set up checkpoints and increased security measures

Dela Rosa orders 24/7 nationwide checkpoints

Sep 09, 2016 - 5:21 PM

The Philippine National Police provides the public with a list of checkpoint procedures and reminds its personnel to observe the general guidelines

CHECKPOINT. Members of the Quezon City Police District's Task Force Oplan Sita conduct a random checkpoint along CP Garcia Avenue in Diliman, Quezon City. Photo by Joel Liporada/Rappler

Reward for Davao blast suspects raised to P3M

Sep 08, 2016 - 4:30 PM

While the reward for information on the suspects stays at P1 million the reward for their arrest is now P2 million says the Davao City government

MAIN SUSPECT. Police are looking for this man, described by witnesses as slim and 5'7" tall

Davao blast: What we know so far

Sep 08, 2016 - 9:48 AM

Police are now hunting down one suspect and at least 3 persons of interest

PNP photo

PH stocks dip over security concerns, political 'uncertainty'

Sep 07, 2016 - 9:30 PM

The Philippine Stock Exchange index PSEi closes at 7 619 10 on Wednesday September 7 – its lowest since July 27

ANXIOUS INVESTORS. The recent terrorist attack and President Duterte's statement on US President Obama have some investors skittish

PH state of lawlessness to have limited impact on credit rating – Moody's

Sep 07, 2016 - 7:10 PM

While the credit rating agency doesn t see any risk in the short term it warns that increasingly controversial law and order policies could detract attention from economic reforms

State of nat'l emergency: More police, military in malls, train stations

Sep 06, 2016 - 8:57 PM

UPDATED The Palace releases guidelines for implementing President Duterte s declaration of state of national emergency on account of lawless violence

STATE OF LAWLESSNESS. At least 14 people died while scores were injured after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

Investors play wait-and-see on Davao blast, Duterte's ASEAN meet

Sep 06, 2016 - 4:30 PM

Analysts say investors are closely monitoring developments both inside and outside the country as President Rodrigo Duterte makes his international debut at the ASEAN Summit

President Rodrigo Duterte salutes the honor guards upon his arrival at Wattay International Airport in Vientiane, Laos on September 5 to participate in ASEAN Summit. KING RODRIGUEZ/PPD

Palace releases proclamation on state of nat'l emergency

Sep 06, 2016 - 11:48 AM

2ND UPDATE In issuing Proclamation 55 Malacañang cites credible threats of further terror attacks and other similar acts of violence by lawless elements in other parts of the country including the metropolitan areas

SECURITY FORCES. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) personnel patrol the streets of Manila on September 3, 2016 as Davao city and central Manila is placed on high alert following the Davao City blast. AFP PHOTO / NOEL CELIS

Dela Rosa: ‘We relaxed a bit and terrorists outplayed us’

Sep 05, 2016 - 8:02 PM

Terrorism is like a play off series Naisahan nila kami Maiisahan din naming sila and ultimately ang gobyerno ang magcha champion says the PNP chief

'WE SHALL PREVAIL.' Philippine National Police Director, General Ronald 'Bato' dela Rosa (shown here with Police Regional Office 3 Director Chief Superintendent Aaron Aquino, R) during a press conference in Camp Olivas, Pampanga, on September 5, 2016, vows to get the perpetrators of the Davao City blast. Photo by Jun A. Malig/Rappler

Arroyo on Duterte, war on drugs, Zika | 6PM wRap

Sep 05, 2016 - 7:51 PM

Watch Rappler s 6PM newscast with Maria Ressa

Nograles asks congressmen to donate to Davao blast victims

Sep 05, 2016 - 6:54 PM

Davao City 1st District Representative Karlo Nograles urges his fellow congressmen to each donate P5 000

Davao City 1st District Representative Karlos Nograles delivers a privilege speech on September 5, 2016, urging lawmakers to donate P5,000 each to a fund for the families of Davao blast victims

Duterte signs state of nat'l emergency proclamation

Sep 05, 2016 - 6:46 PM

UPDATED Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea confirms President Rodrigo Duterte signed a proclamation declaring a state of national emergency on account of lawless violence

Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

WATCH: Heightened security in Davao City after blast

Sep 05, 2016 - 6:15 PM

More law enforcers patrol the streets and conduct inspections on the first weekday since the deadly explosion

Who's behind the Davao bombing?

Sep 05, 2016 - 4:22 PM

In 2016 the Abu Sayyaf s senior ideological leader pledged allegiance to ISIS and videos and statements about PH are spread by ISIS central propaganda groups

Arroyo: Duterte did 'right thing' by declaring state of lawlessness

Sep 05, 2016 - 2:55 PM

When I used to have those problems in Mindanao I used to ask President Duterte to handle it for me And he handled it very well for me says former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo

DEJA VU. President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, who declared a state of lawless violence in 2003 in Davao City, backed President Rodrigo Duterte's announcement of a state of lawlessness in the Philippines. Photo by Patty Pasion/Rappler

Davao blast, Scarborough Shoal, Mother Teresa | 12PM wRap

Sep 05, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Watch Rappler’s 12PM newscast with Maria Ressa

Sara Duterte: P2M for info, arrest of blast suspects

Sep 05, 2016 - 8:43 AM

3rd UPDATE The mayor says P1 million will go to those who provide information on the suspects while another P1 million will go to whoever could bring the suspects to authorities

A scene after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

De Lima on Davao blast: Don't paint picture of conspiracy

Sep 04, 2016 - 11:45 PM

The senator also urges the public to remind the government of the limits of its power and call out any abuse that could arise

House leaders condemn Davao City blast

Sep 04, 2016 - 8:20 PM

House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez and the leaders of the majority and minority blocs issue a resolution expressing outrage over the deadly attack

At least 14 people died while scores were injured after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

No curfew under 'state of lawlessness' – DND chief

Sep 04, 2016 - 6:10 PM

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana s statement comes after Communications Secretary Martin Andanar says curfews will certainly be implemented in Davao City Sulu and Basilan

SECURITY BREACH. At least 14 people die while dozens are injured after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

Empty streets, full funeral homes on weekend after Davao City blast

Sep 04, 2016 - 5:00 PM

On the Sunday after the blast roads and public places lack the usual crowds but memorial chapels are full of mourners

UNEXPECTED LOSS. The family members of blast victim Christian Denver Reyes attend his wake in Davao City. Photo by Pia Ranada/Rappler

Davao blast: 'We can, we must' stand up now

Sep 04, 2016 - 2:57 PM

It isn t fear that grips the streets of Davao City after Friday night It s shock uncertainty

VIGIL. Flowers, candles, and posters in solidarity with the victims and survivors of Friday's blast. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

How 'state of lawlessness' was miscommunicated

Sep 04, 2016 - 10:00 AM

The conflicting statements about the state of lawlessness declared by the President leave the public in a state of confusion Who s responsible?

AT THE BLAST SITE. President Rodrigo Duterte arrrives at the site of an explosion at a nigth market in Davao City on September 3, 2016. Photo by AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

Countries issue travel warnings after Davao bombing

Sep 04, 2016 - 9:39 AM

At least 5 countries issue travel warnings after the Davao City explosion that killed 14 and left more than 60 others wounded

DAVAO BOMBING. Explosion at a night market in Davao City on September 2, killing at least 14 people and injuring at least 71. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

Dela Rosa: Not time to point fingers

Sep 04, 2016 - 8:00 AM

Davao regional police assure locals that the city and its neighboring provinces are safe

NO BLAMING. PNP chief Ronald '€œBato'€ dela Rosa says during a press conference at Camp Crame on September 3 the PNP is on red alert. Photo by Joel Liporada/Rappler

Abe to Duterte: Japan stands in solidarity with PH

Sep 03, 2016 - 11:17 PM

Japan stands with the Philippines when Your Excellency and people of the Philippines are overcoming this difficulty in solidarity Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says in a message to President Duterte

SOLIDARITY. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (right) sends a message to President Rodrigo Duterte (left) condemning the attack on Davao City. He also condoled with the families of the victims.

PNP chief: IED caused Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 8:49 PM

UPDATED Davao region police are tracking down 4 persons of interest – two men and two women – whose sketches have yet to be released to the public

DAVAO BLAST BRIEFING. PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa responds to media queries at the PRO11 headquarters where he attended a Command Conference on September 3, 2016. Photo by Bea Cupin/Rappler

Police tighten security in Cebu, Central Visayas after Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 7:50 PM

While there have been no specific threats made on the second largest metropolitan area in the Philippines police officials say they will not be complacent in ramping up security in the region

State of lawlessness meant to keep things 'under control'

Sep 03, 2016 - 7:20 PM

San Beda Graduate School of Law Dean Fr Ranhilio Aquino says that President Duterte s declaration of a state of lawlessness does not in any way entail the curtailment of any of our freedoms and liberties

San Beda Graduate School of Law dean Fr Ranhilio 'Rannie' Aquino

Police visibility increases in Metro after Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 6:17 PM

The Armed Forces of the Philippines also assures the public: There will be no independent military operations to be conducted We will always be in tandem with the PNP

POLICE VISIBILITY. Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) personnel patrol the streets of Manila on September 3, 2016, as Davao City and Metro Manila is placed on high alert following the Friday night blast. Photo by Noel Celis/AFP

IN PHOTOS: Blast in Davao City

Sep 03, 2016 - 5:10 PM

Witnesses say they heard a loud bang and saw smoke from the site of the explosion a massage area in the market

At least 14 people died while scores were injured after an explosion at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City on Sptember 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/Rappler

DSWD to provide stress debriefing after Davao blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 3:42 PM

The DSWD will also coordinate with local government authorities on additional measures that need to be taken Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo says

AFTERMATH. Injured victims from the Roxas Night Market bombing inside a hospital in Davao City on September 3. Photo by Editha Caduaya/Rappler

After Davao blast, AFP on heightened alert in Metro

Sep 03, 2016 - 3:05 PM

The AFP is already mobilizing around 400 personnel that will be under the Joint Task Force National Capital Region

HEIGHTENED ALERT. SWAT personnel patrol the streets of Manila on September 3, 2016. Photo by Noel Celis/AFP

Business groups react to 'state of lawlessness'

Sep 03, 2016 - 3:01 PM

It can be seen in two ways: a means to step up the campaign against drugs and terrorism as well as a threat to potential investors

EXPLOSION. SOCO investigators at the Roxas Night Market in Davao City following an explosion on September 2, 2016. Photo by Manman Dejeto/AFP

Lawmakers condemn Davao blast, reaffirm support for Duterte

Sep 03, 2016 - 2:56 PM

UPDATED Congressmen call for continued public support for President Rodrigo Duterte who has declared a nationwide state of lawlessness but a few of their colleagues caution against the declaration

BLAST SITE. President Rodrigo Duterte visits the blast site that left 14 people dead and 60 injured in Davao City on September 3, 2016. Photo by Robinson Ninal/PPD

PNP, AFP 'cannot run the country,' senator says

Sep 03, 2016 - 2:42 PM

UPDATED This comes after President Rodrigo Duterte invited the AFP and PNP to run the country in accordance with my specifications under a state of lawlessness

STATE OF LAWLESSNESS. Police investigators collect evidence at the site of an explosion in Davao City on September 2, 2016. Photo by Fr. Jboy Gonzales SJ

Stars offer prayers after Davao explosion

Sep 03, 2016 - 2:06 PM

Vice Ganda apl de ap Gary Valenciano and many more speak up after an explosion in Davao kills at least 14 people

#PRAYFORDAVAO. Robin Padilla, Bea Alonzo, apl.de.ap, and Josh Duhamel are some of the stars who spoke up about the Davao explosion on social media. File photos by Rob Reyes/Alecs Ongcal/Rappler, Jean Baptiste Lacroix/Dave Mangels/Getty Images North America/AFP

Davao blast: Man leaves backpack after massage

Sep 03, 2016 - 1:09 PM

At least 15 of the more than 60 wounded go through surgery

In this photo taken on September 2, 2016 a police investigator collects evidence next to a dead body lying on the ground, at the site of an explosion at a night market in Davao City, in southern island of Mindanao, on late September 2, 2016. At least 10 people died and dozens were injured when an explosion rocked Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's home city of Davao on September 2, 2016 night, police told AFP. The explosion occurred in a bustling part of the city and close to one of its top hotels that is popular with tourists and business people, city spokeswoman Catherine dela Rey said. / AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

Making sense of Duterte's declaration of state of lawlessness

Sep 03, 2016 - 11:37 AM

For now Duterte s declaration does not appear to lead us to a slippery slope But we must be vigilant

TROOPS. President Duterte with soldiers in a recent visit to a camp in the Visayas.

Robredo condemns Davao explosion: 'Senseless and criminal act'

Sep 03, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Other officials slam the attack on Davao city including ARMM Governor Mujiv Hataman who says the Abu Sayyaf – which has claimed responsibility for the attack – has again proven to be the biggest traitor of Islam

CALL FOR UNITY. Vice President Leni Robredo calls for 'calm and collective action' after the Davao City blast that killed at least 14 people. File photo from the Office of the Vice President

Duterte cancels Brunei trip after Davao City blast

Sep 03, 2016 - 10:38 AM

UPDATED Filipinos in Brunei are told that Duterte s visit has been postponed

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (C) arrrives at the site of an explosion at a nigth market in Davao City in southern island of Mindanao early September 3, 2016. At least 10 people died and dozens were injured when an explosion rocked Duterte's home city of Davao on September 2, 2016 night, police told AFP. The explosion occurred in a bustling part of the city and close to one of its top hotels that is popular with tourists and business people, city spokeswoman Catherine dela Rey said. / AFP PHOTO / MANMAN DEJETO

CBCP on Davao blast: Respond with peace, not vengeance

Sep 03, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Violence shocks us Acts of terrorism jolt us When fellowmen die a part of our humanity dies too CBCP president Archbishop Socrates Villegas says

PEACE, NOT VENGEANCE. Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas, president of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines, calls for peace after a deadly explosion in Davao City. File photo from RTVM