LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Palarong Pambansa has been hit with a handful of power outages in some billeting areas and playing venues.
The most recent one was on Tuesday, April 12, at past 7 pm. It plunged the Albay-BU Sports & Tourism Complex in darkness, interrupting the football game between Eastern Visayas and Mimaropa for about 5 minutes.
According to Marlon Loterte, LGU head for media and communications committee for the Albay Palarong Pambansa 2016, the outages were not scheduled.
After speaking with the Albay Power and Energy Corporation, he said the recent power outage was traced to a problem with a post in the Taysan area. However, they could not yet confirm what caused the outage.
Loterte gave assurances that the power company had not scheduled any outages or post repairs for the duration of the week-long Palarong Pambansa, and that they were looking to immediately address or restore power should an outage happen again.
During the press conference on Monday with Lorete and Tonisito Umali, the assistant secretary for legal and legislative affairs of the Department of Education, the problem of power outages was brought up.
Umali and Lorete promised they would look into it. So far, there has been no more brownouts reported in billeting areas.
Umali said they would take into consideration the suggestion of having a power generator on standby as one of the contingency measures.
Aside from the football game earlier, the gymnastics competition was also interrupted by a short power outage on Monday. – Rappler.com
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016’s fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
RECAPS AND MEDAL TALLIES:
- NCR wins 12th straight overall Palarong Pambansa crown
- 8 records fall at Palaro 2016
- NCR cops secondary boys football title in heated Palaro final
- NCR trounces Calabarzon for back-to-back secondary girls volleyball title
- Calabarzon defeats Central Luzon to win Palaro secondary basketball title
- Janel Maraguinot, sis of Ateneo’s Jhoana, is Palaro Best Setter
- Negros Island earns bronze in secondary girls volleyball
- Central Visayas sweeps NCR to retain Palaro badminton doubles title
- Mimaropa bags gold in Palaro elementary boys double takraw