Philippine football chief appointed chef de mission to Tokyo 2020 Olympics
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) president Bambol Tolentino has appointed Philippine Football Federation (PFF) president Mariano “Nonong” Araneta as chef de mission to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Araneta's appointment was among those approved by the POC board, announced at the first general assembly of his term held at the Diamond Hotel in Manila on Tuesday, August 13.
Other appointments approved in the general assembly are the following:
- Edwin Gastanes (football): POC secretary-general
- Richard Gomez (fencing): Deputy secretary-general for NSA Affairs
- Ricky Vargas (boxing): Constitutional amendments committee
- Gen Lucas Managuelod (muay): Membership committee chairman
- Antipolo 1st District Chiqui Roa-Puno: POC spokesperson
- Ed Picson (boxing): POC communications director
- Atty. Alberto Agra (obstacle sports): General counsel
- Cynthia Carrion (gymnastics): Women in sports chairperson
Basketball’s Sonny Barrios will assume the position of second deputy secretary-general in charge of administrative matters.
Philippine Sea Games Organizing Committee (PHISGOC) executive director Tom Carrasco, also president of Triathlon, made a presentation to update the POC on the latest developments regarding preparations for the upcoming SEA Games in November. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.