Defending champ NCR races to 7 golds on Day 1 of #Palaro2016
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Perennial champion National Capital Region (NCR) raced to 7 gold medals as of 10:11 pm on Day 1 of the 2016 Palarong Pambansa on Monday, April 11.
NCR, which ran away with the title last year, claimed golds in events such as elementary boys shot put, two in the secondary boys division of chess (blitz individual and blitz team), and one in secondary girls chess (blitz team), among others. NCR also had 5 silvers.
The Cordillera Administrative Region is right there with a 6-7-3 medal tally so far, while Northern Mindanao and Calabarzon are in a tight race with 4 golds each.
Only CARAGA and Zamboanga Peninsula remain medal-less after the first full day of competition.
The week-long youth games' first gold medalist came from the Davao Region – its lone gold of the day.
Mia Meagey Niñura, 16, bagged the week-long youth games' first gold medal and the first for Davao Region by winning her 3,000-meter athletics event in the secondary girls division early in the day.
Niñura is also the day's lone record-breaker, setting a new record of 10:03.4, comfortably besting last year's record of 10:10.6 by her longtime rival Jian Calis from Northern Mindanao.
The region, which finished 9th last year, also picked up a silver in the secondary boys javelin throw.
Host Bicol Region won gold in elementary girls shot put while Ronald Lacson was the first gold medalist for Western Visayas with a win in secondary boys javelin throw.
Meanwhile, the newly-established Negros Island Region started off its first Palaro participation with a silver medal in elementary girls shot put.
Full results per sport can be viewed here, and you can check out the medal tally below as of 10:11 pm.
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016's fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year's Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
Click here to read more stories on Palarong Pambansa 2018