Mimaropa bags gold in Palaro elementary boys double takraw
CAMALIG, Philippines – Mimaropa won the elementary boys’ Double Takraw championship match against Northern Mindanao, 42-28, on Friday, April 15 at the Camalig Covered Court here.
Strategic strikes and spikes from Mimaropa outpaced Northern Mindanao in the first set with a score of 21-14.
Mimaropa was also able to gain an early lead during the second set at 12-6 but Northern Mindanao managed to catch up mid-game at 15-11.
However, because of Northern Mindanao’s missed serves, Mimaropa maintained its lead and reached championship point for the second set, finishing things off at 21-14.
“Sakripisyong pinahunan namin dito. Pagod, hirap, pera, malayo sa pamilya so masayang masaya po nakuha namin championship doon sa double takraw,” Mimaropa coach Junil Magbanwa told Rappler.
(We sacrificed a lot for this. Our efforts, money, being far away from our families so that is why we were so glad we got the championship for the double takraw.)
Magbanwa said they trained for the competition for only 3 months.
“Yan mga bata na dala ko mga dating player na po yan noong nakaraang taon, bale hindi naman po siya year-round yung training pero may mga time po talaga na nagkikita-kita kami for the training,” the coach said.
(These children that I brought here were already former players in the previous year so we didn’t have year-round training, there were times that we would still see each other for the training.)
Meanwhile, Northern Mindanao accepted defeat.
“Okay lang at least yung pinaghirapan nila napakita naman nila,” said Shirley Laurilla said. (It’s okay, at least they were able to showcase their hard work.)
In consolation, Northern Mindanao likewise got the silver for the elementary boys Regu takraw and one of their players, Gerkyle Sarate from Bonbon Elementary School in Cagayan de Oro City, was awarded Best Spiker. – Randall Matthew Lorayes/Rappler.com
Randall Matthew Lorayes is a Rappler intern on his third year in AB Broadcasting in Bicol University.
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016's fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year's Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy