NCR wins 12th straight overall Palarong Pambansa crown
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – National Capital Region maintained its powerhouse status in youth sports as they clinched a 12th straight overall championship in the 2016 Palarong Pambansa here.
NCR, champions since 2005, ran away with the title once again with a final medal tally of 104 golds, 57 silvers, and 48 bronzes, according to the Department of Education's final and official result on Saturday, April 16.
NCR dominated anew in swimming and claimed titles in secondary boys football as well as in secondary girls volleyball. They upped their gold medal count from 98 last year.
Coming in second is Calabarzon with 40 golds, 43 silvers, and 59 bronzes. The region's gold medal count dropped from 51 last year when they likewise finished second.
Western Visayas similarly had a repeat third place finish this year with a 35-35-39 medal haul.
Newly-established Negros Island Region showed fierce competitiveness in its first Palaro with a 21-28-39 medal tally, good for 6th place.
Ilocos Region pried itself off of the bottom of the standings with 5 golds, 11 silvers, and 21 bronzes to climb to 14th place. Zamboanga Peninsula likewise jumped from second to the last in 2015 to 12th place this year with 6 golds, 7 silvers, and 15 bronzes.
Cordillera Administrative Region fell from 4th place last year to 9th this year, as Central Visayas improved from 6th to 4th. Northern Mindanao kept its place at 5th.
Check out the final medal tally for the 2016 Palarong Pambansa below.
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016's fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year's Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
Click here to read more stories on Palarong Pambansa 2018