IN PHOTOS: The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – A number of sports at the 2016 Palarong Pambansa remain unfamiliar despite being around for years.
Through this series of photos, Rappler takes a closer look at the sport of bocce.
Bocce, sometimes called bocce ball, is an official para games sport for this year's Palaro.
According to coach Joylili Babasa of the Zamboanga Peninsula, bocce is exclusively for children with disabilities to enhance their eye and body coordination. Bocce helps coaches track the progression and improvement of an athlete's mind.
The common players of this game are athletes with intellectual disabilities. Only the those with an IQ of 70 below can join participate.
The game is played in singles, doubles, and team categories.
The technical director will call on to the teams for a toss coin to determine who will throw the lead ball first. Each player or team are given 4 balls – green and red. They are to decide which color they want.
The winner of the coin toss will throw a small white ball called the lead ball. Then the player or team which manages to bowl the 4 balls closest to the lead ball wins. The game does not require a specific time frame, but technical directors and delegations can utlimately decide.
Rotation violation occurs when the athlete mistakenly throws the ball below his waist line. Then the serving of the lead ball will go to the opponent.
At Palaro this year, Western Visayas won gold for the singles category, while Central Visayas and CAR won the silver and bronze, respectively.
Host Bicol Region triumphed in the double competition followed by Negros Island and Western Visayas.
Finally, 12-time Palaro overall champion NCR took home the gold in the team event as Calabarzon and Bicol came away with the silver and bronze.
– reports from Mary Joy Gelit/Rappler.com
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016's fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year's Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
Click here to read more stories on Palarong Pambansa 2018