At a glance: The major announcements from Apple's September 2018 keynote
MANILA, Philippines – Apple at an event in California on Wednesday, September 12 (September 13, Manila time), announced a slew of device upgrades, including Apple Watch Series 4 and the iPhone XS and XS Max.
Here's a running list of you can expect from the future of Apple, at a glance!
Apple Watch Series 4
- Dynamic watchfaces and new design and user interface
- Digital crown with haptic feedback
- 35% larger screen size for the 40mm version
- 32% larger screen size for the 44mm version
- Sports a 64-bit dual-core processor, which is up to two times faster
- Louder speaker
- Next-generation accelerometer and gyroscope, which allows 8x faster processing
- With new accelerometer and gyroscope, it can now detect a fall and alert your contacts if you are unconscious or can't move
- Detects if your heart rate is low
- Streams your heart rhythm, and will alert you if you your rhythm suggests atrial fibrillation
- It can now take an electrocardiogram (ECG) through a 30-second process
- First ECG product offered over the counter direct to consumers
- ECG is cleared with by the FDA and American Heart Association
- 18-hour battery life
- Series 4 costs $399, Available in 26 markets at launch
- Series 4 with cellular will cost $499, available in 16 markets at launch with 34 carriers
- Series gets price drop at $279
- WatchOS 5 will be available September 17
- Orders open Friday, September 14. Shipping begins September 21st.
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
- 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch versions in the XS (said as Ten S) and XS Max
- The iPhone XS, despite having a larger screen, is smaller than the 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus
- Improved OLED HDR Display, with 458 pixels per inch (ppi)
- 1 million to 1 contrast ratio
- Improved water resistance
- Runs on the Apple A12 Bionic chip
- Apple claims this is the industry's first 7-nanometer chip
- 8-core neural engine design, dedicated machine learning, multiprecision support, smart compute system
- A12 Bionic neural engine processes 5 trillion operations per second
- Rear cameras: 12 megapixel wide-angle camera and 12 megapixel telephoto camera, and improved TrueTone flash
- Front cameras: 7 megapixel RGB camera and IR camera with global shutter and IR lens
- 1 trillion operations on every photo you take
- Smart HDR (High-Dynamic-Range imaging) photos: The A12 will take 4 frames at zero shutter lag, along with several interframes and a long exposure to allow for shadow detail.
- Using an iPhone app, photos can have their depth-of-field adjusted after taking the shot.
- iPhone XS has 30 minutes more battery life than iPhone X
- iPhone XS Max has up to 90 minutes more battery life than iPhone X
- Dual Sim Dual Standby (DSDS) using eSim technology – easy to set up a second phone number on your iPhone!
- Special Chinese model will have a physical dual sim setup.
- iPhone XS starts at $999
- iPhone XS Max starts at $1,099
- Available on September 21
One more iPhone: The iPhone XR
- 6.1-inch LCD "Liquid Retina" Display
- Bigger display than an iPhone 8 Plus but smaller
- Runs on the A12 bionic chip as with the XS and XS Max
- Single-camera system: 12-MP wide-angle camera, as from XS and XS Max
- 90 minutes more battery life compared to iPhone 8 Plus
- 6 different finishes, aerospace-grade aluminum and durable glass
- IP67 water and dust resistance
- Starts at $749
- Available on October 26
iOS 12 will arrive on September 17
HomePod and tvOS
- HomePod and tvOS 12 will receive Atmos updates September 17
- macOS Mojave will become available September 24
Are you excited for these developments? Let us know in the comments! – Rappler.com
In an industry as rapidly changing as technology, our Tech section seeks to be always up-to-speed with the latest technology news, gadget and app reviews, tips and analysis.
However, reader support powers our of content. Help us keep you updated by joining Rappler PLUS.
Through Rappler PLUS, you will receive special editorial newsletters, industry reports, and invites to exclusive briefings.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.