Lenovo introduces foldable-display laptop
MANILA, Philippines - Foldable displays have taken the smartphone world by storm this year, but it might not be too long before we see the technology in laptops too.
Lenovo at its Accelerate conference in Orlando, Florida gave the world its first glimpse at a foldable PC, which will be part of its premium ThinkPad X1 line.
The device has a 9.6-inch display when folded and a 13.3-inch diagonal display when opened. It also boasts an OLED 2K display manufactured by LG Display.
Lenovo sees a lot of uses for the device, claiming that it could be a replacement for your laptops instead of just a supplemental device. While it does not feature a standard keyboard (the default keyboard is an on-display touchscreen), it can accomodate a Bluetooth keyboard.
Lenovo, in its press release, outlined how a day with the upcoming product would go like:
- Wake up, fold it into a book, and start the day scanning your social media feeds in bed
- Walk to your kitchen, unfold it, and stand it up for hands-free viewing of your top news sites
- Hit your commute on the bus or train and morph it into a clamshell to catch up on emails
- Get into the office, dock it into your multi-monitor setup and get to work.
- Go into meetings, take notes with its pen, and write on a full screen tablet.
- After lunch, set up the stand and use its mechanical keyboard to type out a few work emails
- Come home at night, open it up and stream your favorite shows
- Relax in bed, fold it in half and enjoy your latest read before going to sleep.
It will run Windows and will be powered by an Intel processor, which has yet to be specified. Details regarding exact specs, the device's exact name, and price have also yet to be revealed. Lenovo's looking at a 2020 release date. – Rappler.com
In an industry as rapidly changing as technology, our Tech section seeks to be always up-to-speed with the latest technology news, gadget and app reviews, tips and analysis.
However, reader support powers our of content. Help us keep you updated by joining Rappler PLUS.
Through Rappler PLUS, you will receive special editorial newsletters, industry reports, and invites to exclusive briefings.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.