5 name predictions for Kate's new #RoyalBaby girl
MANILA, Philippines – It's a girl!
Prince William's wife Kate Middleton gives birth on Saturday, May 2, with her second child. The new royal baby is fourth in line to the British throne, after brother Prince George.
The announcement of the name was just as eagerly awaited as the birth of the baby. A lot of guesses surfaced on the Internet, but which ones are the best?
We asked netizens for their own predictions and here are the top picks from social media:
Besides the usual "royal baby name" favorites: Victoria (meaning triumphant) and Elizabeth (meaning oath of God), here are the top 5 baby girl names that emerged:
1. Diana – Its biblical meaning is luminous, perfect. In the Persian language, Diana means "supplier (messenger) of beneficence and wellness."
The top favorite suggestion so far. Netizens perhaps see this new baby as a way of bringing back their beloved Princess Diana who died in an accident. After all, she is Prince William’s mother so the possibility of this name being passed on to his daughter would be high.
2. Alice – A feminized form of the Old French female name Alis, short form of Adelais, which is derived from the Germanic name Adalhaidis, from the Germanic word elements adal, meaning ″noble.″
Having been suggested twice so far, Alice is the second favorite name. Quite fitting if you go by its meaning.
3. Margeary Cecilia Stefania – An Old French, Middle English form of Margaret, which means pearl.
Stefania is a female name in Czech, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Romanian, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian and Russian, originating from Old Greek meaning, crowned or the winning.
4. Alyana Athena – Meaning "noble and gracious" (likely derived from Latin).
In Greek, the name means goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, mathematics, strength, war strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.
5. Giogianne Katherine – Close to Prince George's name, Giogianne could be a female version of the name that means "farmer" and as her mother's namesake she would also hold the meanings "pure" and "clear."
One of the most unique names suggested.
What would you name the new royal baby girl? Let us know in the comments below. – Rappler.com
Name meanings researched from various baby name websites.