AirAsia boss Tony Fernandes on crash probe: ‘We will not leave any stone unturned’

Natashya Gutierrez
AirAsia boss Tony Fernandes on crash probe: ‘We will not leave any stone unturned’


In a series of tweets, Fernandes responds to the results of the investigation that blamed system error and crew action

JAKARTA, Indonesia – AirAsia head Tony Fernandes used Twitter to react to the probe results on AirAsia crash QZ8501 on Tuesday, December 1, vowing to ensure the airline industry learns from the crash.

“There is much to be learned here for Airasia, the manufacturer and the aviation@ industry. We will not leave any stone unturned to make sure the industry learns from this tragic incident,” he tweeted. (READ: What caused AirAsia crash? Faulty system, crew action)

The report released also on Tuesday said faulty equipment and the crew’s “inability to control the aircraft” led an AirAsia A320 to crash into the Java Sea last year, killing all 162 people onboard. (READ: Timeline: What happened to AirAsia QZ8501)

Fernandes tweeted, “My heart and deep sorrow goes out to all the families involved in QZ8501.”

He also vowed to continue working on AirAsia saying he was deeply affected by the crash. (READ: IN PHOTOS: The search for AirAsia QZ8501)

“These are scars that are left on me forever but I remain committed to make Airasia the very best. We owe it to the families and my crew.”

He added, “[I] would like to thank the KNKT for the very thorough investigations. My thoughts are to the families and my crew who still remain our number 1 priority.”

Flight QZ8501 went down in stormy weather on December 28, during what was supposed to be a short flight from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore.

The crash of the Airbus A320-200 triggered a huge international search, with ships and aircraft from several nations involved in a lengthy hunt that was hampered by strong currents and bad weather. The bodies of 56 victims were never recovered. 

In their final report into the accident released Tuesday, Indonesia’s official National Transportation Safety Committee said a major factor was a fault with a system that helps control the rudder’s movement. 

“Subsequent flight crew action resulted in inability to control the aircraft,” said the report. The plane went into a “prolonged stall condition that was beyond the capability of the crew to recover”, it said.

The crash was AirAsia’s first. – reports from Agence France-Presse

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.