Deadliest Iraq attacks since US pullout
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A wave of more than 30 attacks across Iraq killed 88 people and wounded more than 400 on Saturday and Sunday, with security forces and marketplaces among the targets.
Here is a timeline of the deadliest attacks since US forces completed their withdrawal from Iraq on December 18, 2011, after nearly nine years in the country:
DEC. 22: Coordinated rush hour attacks in Baghdad kill at least 60 people and wound 183, as violence elsewhere claims another seven lives.
- 5: Attacks against Shiite Muslims in Baghdad and the south kill 68 people and wound more than 100.
- 14: A suicide bomber targeting Shiite pilgrims outside the southern port city of Basra kills 53 people and wounds more than 130.
- 27: A suicide bomber detonates an explosives-packed car at a funeral outside a Baghdad hospital, killing 31 people and wounding 60.
- 19: A suicide car bombing outside a Baghdad police academy kills 15 people and wounds 21.
- 23: A wave of attacks nationwide, blamed on Al-Qaeda, kills 42 people and wounds more than 250.
- 5: Suspected Al-Qaeda gunmen, some in police uniforms, rampage through the western city of Haditha in a pre-dawn shooting spree that kills 27 policemen.
- 20: Attacks in more than a dozen cities kill 50 people and wound 255.
- 19: At least 38 killed and more than 150 wounded in attacks nationwide.
- 31: Seventeen people killed and at least 57 wounded in bombings across Baghdad, while three others are shot dead in north Iraq.
- 4: At least 25 killed in a suicide car bombing at the headquarters of the Shiite religious endowment in Baghdad.
- 13: A wave of apparently coordinated bombings and shootings rocks Iraq during a major Shiite religious commemoration, killing at least 72 people and wounding more than 250, many of them pilgrims.
- 16: 32 killed in two attacks targeting pilgrims north of Baghdad.
- 18: A suicide bomber kills 22 at a Shiite gathering in Baquba north of Baghdad.
- 20: 20 killed in attacks, including one near a Shiite shrine in Baquba.
- 3: Attacks kill 39, including 26 in a blast at a market in Diwaniya, south of Baghdad.
- 22: At least 17 killed nationwide.
- 23: Twenty-nine attacks in 18 cities, claimed by Al-Qaeda front group the Islamic State of Iraq, kill 113 people and wound 259.
- 31: 23 killed across Iraq.
- 2: Eighteen members of the security forces among 33 killed countrywide.
- 8: At least 21 people killed in Baghdad, among them 13 at a Shiite mourning ceremony.
- 16: A series of attacks in 15 places kills at least 82 people and wounds more than 250, with the heaviest death toll of 32 in and around Baghdad.
- 8-9: At least 88 people killed and more than 400 wounded in attacks across the country. - Agence France-Presse