12 dead in clashes across Egypt: health ministry

Agence France-Presse
At least 12 people were killed across Egypt, the health ministry says, in clashes between security forces and supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi

BURNING STREETS. A supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt's ousted president Mohamed Morsi gestures during clashes with police in Cairo on August 14, 2013, as security forces backed by bulldozers moved in on two huge pro-Morsi protest camps, launching a long-threatened crackdown that left dozens dead. Photo by AFP/Mosaab el-Shamy

CAIRO, Egypt – At least 12 people were killed across Egypt on Friday, August 16, the health ministry said, in clashes between security forces and supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi.

Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood meanwhile said 25 people had been killed at one protest site alone, in Cairo’s Ramses Square.

The health ministry said 4 people were killed in violence in the Suez Canal city of Ismailiya and another 8 in northern Damietta.

Security sources told AFP that 5 protesters had been killed in clashes with security forces in Ismailiya.

And they said a police conscript was killed when gunmen attacked a checkpoint in the capital.

The violence came as Islamists marched in several cities around Egypt in what they dubbed a “Friday of anger” to protest the killing of hundreds of Morsi loyalists following a security crackdown on Wednesday, August 14.

Protests were held in Cairo, in the northern city of Alexandria, in Beni Sueif and Fayoum, south of Cairo, and in the Red Sea resort town of Hurghada.

The interior ministry said Thursday, August 15, that it would take tough measures, including the use of live fire, if protesters attacked government buildings. – Rappler.com