United Nations says it cannot confirm Iran behind Saudi oil attack

Agence France-Presse

This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

United Nations says it cannot confirm Iran behind Saudi oil attack

AFP

The investigation is unable to 'independently corroborate that the cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles used in these attacks are of Iranian origin,' the report says

UNITED NATIONS – The UN has been unable to confirm Iranian involvement in a dramatic attack on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia earlier this year, secretary-general Antonio Guterres said Tuesday, December 10.  

Drones and cruise missiles were used in the September bombardment, which knocked out half of the kingdom’s crude production and fueled a record surge in prices.

Saudi officials, the United States and several European countries accused Iran of responsibility for the attack, which Tehran has denied.

UN investigators had been given access to debris of the weapons used in the attack, Guterres said in a report submitted every 6 months to the Security Council on Iran’s nuclear program, seen by the Agence France-Presse on Tuesday.

But the investigation was not able to “independently corroborate that the cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles used in these attacks are of Iranian origin,” the report said. 

An investigation into the attack is continuing and will be submitted to the Security Council when finished, Guterres said. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Summarize this article with AI
Download the Rappler App!