DFA: No Pinoy casualty in Kenya mall attack
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has not received reports of any Filipino casualty in an attack launched by Somali militants in a popular mall in Nairobi, Kenya.
But DFA spokesperson Raul Hernandez assured the public they were constantly checking with authorities there.
SO FAR, no Filipino casualty in the Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya. Our Embassy in Nairobi continues to check w/ Kenya authorities.— Raul S. Hernandez (@dfaspokesperson) September 22, 2013
Gunmen stormed the mall midday Saturday in retaliation for Kenya's military intervention in Somalia, where African Union troops are battling the Islamists.
At least 68 people were killed and 200 wounded in the more than 30-hour siege.
Most of the hostages trapped in the mall have now been rescued and most of the complex is secure, the Kenya army announced late Sunday.
"Our concern is to rescue all hostages alive and that is why the operation is delicate," the Kenya Defence Forces said in a situation update on Twitter.
"All efforts are underway to bring this matter to a speedy conclusion," it said.
The army said 4 of its soldiers were wounded in the attack. – Rappler.com, with reports from Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com