Gov't to launch public service ads vs illegal drugs
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Sunday, August 28, said that it will launch soon a series of public service announcement (PSA) videos as part of its intensified campaign against illegal drugs in the Philippines.
In an interview aired over state-run Radyo ng Bayan, Palace Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said that the government is set to release 4 30-seconder videos and two that will have a running time of 2 minutes and 30 seconds each.
The PSA videos were directed by award-winning filmmaker Brillante Mendoza for free.
"Kapag nagpagawa ng 30 seconder sa mga ahensya, umaabot gastos ng 4 na milyong piso," Andanar said. "Napakamahal [niyan] pero ang magandang balita ay ni singkong duling hindi tayo siningil ni director Mendoza at ito ay world-class."
(When you ask agencies for a 30-seconder video, the cost can reach P4 million. That's very expensive but the good news is that we weren't asked to pay by director Mendoza and yet the videos are still world-class.)
Mendoza, whose films like Kinatay and Ma' Rosa have received international awards, also directed President Rodrigo Duterte's first State of the Nation Address (SONA). His direction of the live event, however, got mixed reviews.
The PSAs will be shown in at least 300 SM cinemas across the nation from September 1 to December 30.
"Ang maganda dito ay hindi tayo siningil ng SM," Andanar said. "Libre ang pagpapalabas natin."
(What's great is that we weren't asked to pay by SM. The videos will be shown in their cinemas for free.)
Meanwhile, Andanar said that television network ABS-CBN, Brigada network, and Manila Broadcasting Company also expressed interest in running the anti-drug videos for free.
Andanar added that he will talk to the heads of other networks – such as GMA 7's Felipe Gozon and TV5's Manny Pangilinan – for possible airing of the PSAs in their respective channels.
"Noong unang usapan namin noong nakaraang buwan, nagpahayag na [ng] willingness na tulungan ang government in whatever capacity na kaya [nila]," he said.
(The first time we talked last month, they already expressed willingness to work with the government in whatever capacity they can.)
The PSAs are the latest in the efforts of the Duterte administration to use mass media for its advocacies.
Malacañang on August 18 released the first edition of the Mula Sa Masa, Para Sa Masa tabloid – a bi-monthly publication.
The government is also set to relaunch Duterte's Davao City-based Gikan Sa Masa, Para Sa Masa as a national television show. (READ: Duterte tabloid launched ahead of TV show) – Rappler.com