MANILA, Philippines – Smart Communications Incorporated is the top non-individual taxpayer for taxable year 2013, the Bureau of Internal Revenue reported Wednesday, March 11.
A firm led by Manuel V. Pangilinan, Smart of the Philippine Long Distance Telecommunications Company (PLDT) pushed another Pangilinan-led firm, Manila Electric Company (Meralco), to 2nd place as top non-individual taxpayer.
Based on BIR’s data as of March 6, 2015, Smart ranked first among the top 500 non-individual taxpayers for taxable year 2013, with an income tax due amounting to P10.891 billion ($245.76 million).
For taxable year 2012, Smart was the 2nd top non-individual taxpayer with an income tax due amounting to P7.938 billion ($179.13 million).
Meralco declared income taxes amounting to P9.69 billion ($218.55 million).
For taxable year 2012, Meralco’s income tax due was P9.346 billion ($210.79 million).
Top 10 non-individual taxpayers
The rest of the top 10 non-individual taxpayers in 2013 are:
- Beer producer San Miguel Brewery Incorporated, ranked 3rd, 5 notches higher from the 8th spot for taxable year 2012, with its income tax due amounting to P4.879 billion ($110.07 million)
- Food and beverage company Nestlé Philippines Incorporated came in 4th with P4.811 billion ($108.57 million)
- Chevron Malampaya LLC placed 5th with P4.517 billion ($101.90 million)
- Shell Philippines Explorations B.V. was 6th with P4.484 billion ($101.15 million). Both Chevron and Shell are in a venture for the Malampaya deep water gas-to-power project
- Smart’s rival company, Globe Telecom Incorporated, took the 7th spot with income tax due amounting to P4.003 billion ($90.30 million)
- Cigarette giant Philip Morris Fortune Tobacco Corporation Incorporated took the 8th slot with P3.422 billion ($77.22 million)
- A newcomer to BIR’s top 500 list, trading company Chemwealth Incorporated ranked 9th with P2.909 billion ($65.65 million)
- 10th was mall operator SM Prime Holdings Incorporated of Henry Sy – the richest man in the country, with its income tax due amounting to P2.777 billion ($62.67 million) for taxable year 2013
For 2015, BIR lowered its revenue collection goals on a quarterly basis.
For the first quarter this year, the revenue-generating agency expects to hit P344.6 billion ($7.79 billion) – the lowest quarterly target for 2015.
Check the rest of the BIR top 500 non-invididual taxpayers here. – Rappler.com
US$1 = P44.26
Mobile users image from Shutterstock
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.