PARIS, France – Eagles of Death Metal, the California rockers whose concert in Paris turned into a massacre, will cut short a European tour and return home, promoters said Saturday, November 14. (READ: World mourns and condemns attacks in Paris)
The band – known more for its raunchy humor than any political inclination – will cut short a European tour that had been due to run until December 10 in Portugal.
The band had been due to play Saturday night in Tourcoing in northern France before a show the following day in Brussels.
“The group is going to return,” an official at promoters Nous Productions told Agence France-Presse.
The Deftones, another California band that had been present Friday night at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, will also return home, the promoter said.
The Deftones, known for experimental metal, had 3 shows scheduled at the Bataclan from Saturday to Monday. The group was in the audience Friday, after posting pictures of Paris tourist sites on social media.
The Bataclan, built in 1864 in a chinoiserie style, turned into a bloodbath Friday night after four black-clad attackers opened fire with automatic weapons, killing at least 82 people.
The band itself was reported to be safe.
David Ian Hughes, the brother of frontman Jesse Hughes, wrote on Facebook that he spoke to the artist and “the band is ok” but that few other details were known.
“I’m saying a million prayers that my husband comes home safe and I’m saying a million prayers for everyone who won’t,” Emily Dorio, the wife of drummer Julian Dorio, wrote on Instagram before reporting that her husband was safe.
Mary Lou Dorio, the drummer’s mother, told The Washington Post that the band was able to escape but that some members of their crew had not yet been found.
The band itself issued a statement on Facebook as the tragedy unfolded, saying: “We are still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew. Our thoughts are with all of the people involved in this tragic situation.”
Hailing from Palm Desert in southern California, Eagles Of Death Metal have two consistent members – 43-year-old Hughes and 42-year-old Josh Homme, who is also known for his band Queens of the Stone Age.
The band’s lyricism – and shows – are often known for lasciviousness, with the two men seeing themselves in the tradition of sex, drugs and rock and roll. – Rappler.com
More on the Paris attacks:
- Over 128 killed, 180 injured in Paris attacks
- IN PHOTOS: November 13 Paris attacks
- ISIS claims Paris attacks
- US band caught up in Paris attacks reported safe
- Witnesses tell of ‘bloodbath’ at Paris rock concert
- Shock, horror for 80,000 fans at Stade de France after Paris attacks
- French search for friends, shelter online after Paris attacks
Global, social media reactions
- World leaders condemn Paris attacks, vow to help
- Pope Francis on Paris attacks: ‘This is not human’
- Aquino: ‘Philippines stands shoulder to shoulder with France’
- ‘This time it’s war:’ French press react with horror to attacks
- World mourns and condemns attacks in Paris
- #PrayForParis, #Fusillade trends on Twitter amid Paris attacks
- Celebrities call for support, prayers for Paris