2014 Oscars: Matthew McConaughey wins Best Actor
MANILA, Philippines – Matthew McConaughey has won the award for Best Actor for his role as HIV patient Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club.
McConaughey plays a homophobe who begins smuggling experimental medicine in Texas when he learns he is HIV-positive. The role earned him his first nomination and Oscar, after a series of star performances in an increasingly serious series of films.
He quickly praised his rivals for the award, saying "all these performances were impeccable, in my opinion. I didn't see a false note anywhere."
After a nod to his late father – "He's probably up there with a cold can of Miller Lite" – McConaughey offered some straightforward advice for the crowd: "Just keep living."
McConaughey's co-star Jared Leto earlier won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in the same film. It was also his first nomination and win.
McConaughey's win is not unexpected, as he was considered one of the frontrunners for the award this season. He previously picked up the Critics’ Choice Award, a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild award, and an Independent Spirit Award, among others.
His win is good news for many, not-so-good for others, particularly passionate supporters of Leonardo DiCaprio. The actor is perceived by many netizens to be long overdue for his Oscar, with 5 nominations under his belt.
Still, there are no hard feelings between the actors themselves – Matthew went out of his way to give Leo a hug after his win was announced. – With reports from Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com
RAPPLER STORIES ON THE 2014 OSCARS
The awards night
- Live Blog: Oscars 2014
- Full list: Winners at the OSCARS 2014
- Big winners at the 2014 Oscars: '12 Years A Slave,' 'Gravity'
- See the looks: Oscars 2014 Red Carpet
- 2014 Oscars: Jared Leto wins Best Supporting Actor
- 2014 Oscars: Lupita Nyong’o wins Best Supporting Actress
- 2014 Oscars: Matthew McConaughey wins Best Actor
- 2014 Oscars: Cate Blanchett wins Best Actress
- Ellen's Oscars 'Selfie' is most retweeted post of all time
- He did it! Fil-Am Robert Lopez EGOT winner after ‘Frozen’ win
- Double win for 'Frozen' in 2014 Oscars
- FULL LIST: Oscars 2014 nominations announced
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Actor nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Actress nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Supporting Actor nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Supporting Actress nominees
- A 'Frozen' Oscar may land Fil-Am songwriter EGOT spot
- 'Frozen' wish, granted: Idina Menzel to perform 'Let it Go' at Oscars
- U2 to play Mandela song at Oscars
- Academy kills Oscars nomination over email gaffe
- Leonardo DiCaprio, an Oscar, and the Internet
- Bizarre and memorable Oscar moments
- Leo's dancing, J-Law's cinematic crush: Oscar nominee trivia
- The story of the Oscar statuette