This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
AUGUSTA, USA – Irish pop music star Niall Horan of One Direction botched his tee shot moment Wednesday, April 8 in the Masters Par-3 Contest while serving as world number one Rory McIlroy’s caddie.
The 21-year-old heartthrob to teen fans of the famed British boy band, a 12-handicap player according to McIlroy, was handed the chance to hit a tee shot at the ninth and last hole on the special course at Augusta National.
But in this case, Horan’s one direction was the wrong one as his shot found the water.
“My right arm got stuck on my chest and I pulled it across and it wound up in the drink on the very left,” Horan said. “Any other day I would have found the green but there’s a lot of pressure out there.”
It’s not like Horan does not perform before thousands of people at concerts, although there were relatively few teen girls at the famed golf course.
Check out Niall’s “Where are we going today, Mark?” video here:
“It’s very different,” Horan said. “I do perform to a lot of people but I’m performing to their parents today. It’s a very different crowd.”
There were plenty of middle-aged women getting autographs and selfies from Horan, star golfers ignored in favor of the singer.
“Little bit of a younger demographic than the Masters is used to,” McIlroy said of One Direction. “I’m a big fan. They have been hitting it for years.”
McIlroy said the relaxed atmosphere of the event could help him in his quest to win his third major title in a row and complete a career Grand Slam by winning the Masters this week.
“It was a lot of fun out there,” McIlroy said.
Golfers often have their children serve as caddies in the easygoing competition, something four-time Masters winner Tiger Woods and defending champion Bubba Watson did.
Here’s a photo Niall posing with Tiger and Rory:
McIlroy made his deal with Horan when he learned the singer would be attending the Masters this year for the first time, offering the prized caddie spot that had once belonged to McIlroy’s former girlfriend, Caroline Wozniacki.
“I caught up with him in Australia at the end of last year and he was really excited and I said, ‘If you’re available Wednesday afternoon and you want to carry the bag for nine holes, you’re more than welcome,'” McIlroy said. “He’s really excited to be here.”
One Direction’s hits include “What Makes You Beautiful” and “Best Song Ever.”
Band member Zayn Malik departed last month but the remaining members have said they will continue to perform together. – Jim Slater, AFP/Rappler.com
More One Direction on Rappler here:
- Zayn Malik on leaving One Direction: ‘I feel like I’m doing what’s right’
- One Direction members speak up about Zayn Malik’s departure
- Zayn Malik in One Direction: 5 unforgettable moments
- CONFIRMED: Zayn Malik leaves One Direction
- In tweets: Fans react to news that Zayn Malik is leaving One Direction
- PH fans react to news that Zayn Malik won’t come to Manila
- Zayn Malik of One Direction will not perform in Manila concert
One Direction in Jakarta:
One Direction in Manila:
- IN PHOTOS: One Direction in Manila concert, day 1
- Watch clips from One Direction live in Manila, day 1
- One Direction’s Niall Horan caddies for Rory McIlroy at Masters
- One Direction plays on in South Africa as fans mourn Zayn Malik’s exit
- One Direction pays ‘marijuana bond’ to Philippines – govt
- One Direction concert organizers must pay cash bond for 1D to perform
- Two members of One Direction caught smoking on video
- One Direction to perform in Manila in 2015