MANILA, Philippines – Fifty Shades of Grey started its run in the Philippines Wednesday, February 11, rated R-18.
The original book by EL James was not a critical hit, but soared to new levels of popularity with the public, with the character of the controlling, ab-tastic Christian Grey earning his spot in many a reader’s fantasy.
Fans worried that the movie might not be as erotically charged as the book, one of the elements that made it so popular in the first place. But the people behind the movie, including director Sam Taylor-Johnson and writer EL James, have said that they’ve taken great care to preserve the book’s appeal – and meet fans’ expectations.
Here are what some of the critics are saying. In general, reviews praised the glossy look and performances from the leads, while commenting on how the movie holds back when it comes to the more explicit scenes.
Sheri Linden, The Hollywood Reporter
Writing for The Hollywood Reporter, Sheri Linden said that the movie’s strength over the book is how the movie isn’t hampered by the book’s long descriptions, though the review does say that the screenplay does retain many of the book’s memorable lines.
Linden also praises the performances from both leads, Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson.
Commenting on the sexually charged scenes, she said: “ The penultimate scene, where Christian punishes Anastasia with a belt — and thrills to it, as Dornan communicates with exquisite subtlety — is by far the film’s most extreme.”
Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
EW also praised the stars’ performances, particularly Dakota as Ana Steele, while pointing out that the film employs a sort of “look-but-don’t-pant” tone throughout the film.
“…the movie version appears to be aimed at a younger consumer crowd than -the readers (albeit a crowd qualified for R-rated entertainment). In any event, the result is confounding, leaving both those coming to the Fifty Shades phenomenon for the first time as well as those who have read the book to wonder, for different reasons, Where’s the beef?”
Elizabeth Weitzman, New York Daily News
Dakota is getting much acclaim for her role – she’s consistently praised over several critics’ reviews.
“[Jaime] Dornan, unfortunately, never evolves into anything more than a pretty face. But Johnson is a true find: She’s so committed, she makes Ana’s every discovery — in or out of the bedroom — convincing…She’s smarter and sassier than her literary counterpart, while Christian, thank goodness, is less creepy-stalkerish.”
This review also points out one thing which many readers might be happy about: the film does away with Ana’s references to her “inner goddess,” which delights whenever Christian does something she finds particularly arousing, or whenever her character wants to convey a sudden turn in emotion.
Almost across the board, most of the critics remarked that the film gets a chance to do away with some elements that didn’t work as well in the book, including its dialogues.
“If the problem with too many literary adaptations is a failure to capture the author’s voice, then that shortcoming turns out to be the single greatest virtue of Fifty Shades of Grey…”
“In that respect, there’s something at once underwhelming and almost heartening about the sleek, professional softcore spectacle of “Fifty Shades of Grey,” which substitutes a genteel visual shorthand for James’ hot-and-heavy descriptions, duly cushioned by the rhythmic thrusts and heaves of Danny Elfman’s score,” continues the review.
Finally, here’s a bonus from one celebrity who’s seen the film:
Kim Kardashian-West, reality TV star
Girls night watching a private screening of Fifty Shades of Grey!!!!!! OMG it’s sooooo good!!!!!— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) February 4, 2015
Will you be watching? Sound off in the comments section below. – Rappler.com
More 50 Shades of Grey on Rappler:
- What critics are saying about ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’
- Feast your eyes on ‘The Dom,’ a dessert inspired by ‘Fifty Shades’
- WATCH: ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Lego parody
- Watch Christian show Ana the Red Room in new ‘Fifty Shades’ full clip
- David Gandy turned down role of Christian in ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’
- ‘Fifty Shades of Gray’ gets R-18 rating in the Philippines
- New ‘Fifty Shades’ full scene: Christian Grey doesn’t do romance
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ full scene: Encounter at the hardware store
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ full scene: Christian’s offer for Ana
- Christian Grey in new ‘Fifty Shades’ TV spot: ‘Where have you been?’
- WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres stars in her own funny ‘Fifty Shades’ trailer
- Meet Christian Grey’s family and Kate: New ‘Fifty Shades’ posters revealed
- WATCH: New ‘Fifty Shades’ trailer: ‘Why are you trying to change me?’
- WATCH: A glimpse of Christian Grey’s closet in new ‘Fifty Shades’ teaser
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ stars on the ‘task’ of filming steamy scenes
- WATCH: First ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ trailer released
- Charlie Hunnam: Leaving ‘Fifty Shades’ was ‘heartbreaking’
- ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ movie unveils new Christian Grey photo
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.