MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Miss Universe 2015 has officially started on Wednesday, December 16 in Las Vegas (Thursday, December 17 in Manila) with the preliminaries held at the Axis in Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino.
The production opened with Stephanie Cameron, choreographer of the Miss Universe pageant introducing the candidates. The Philippines’ bet, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, clad in a silver sequined dress, received loud cheers from the audience.
The stage heated up during the swimsuit portion. Pia, wearing a black and white two-piece bikini, did not disappoint the crowd, who continued to cheer her on. At one point, the hosts even commented on the support she’s been getting.
During the evening gown portion, the ladies showed everyone how regal they were. Pia came out in a red gown by designer Oliver Tolentino, who at the last minute came to the rescue after reports surfaced that the original gown that Pia had did not fit her well.
On Twitter, Oliver explained how he was able to help Pia and her camp at the last minute.
Of course I took their emergency call for last minute help… even while on my ski vacation in Aspen. pic.twitter.com/TyCnr3Qnls— Oliver Tolentino (@OliverTolentino) December 16, 2015
Pia's gown for #MissUniversePrelims was 1 she chose from 9 gowns I sent after they called me yesterday asking for emergency help with a gown— Oliver Tolentino (@OliverTolentino) December 17, 2015
Pia’s predecessors – Miss Universe 2012 1st runner-up Janine Tugonon, Miss Universe 2013 3rd runner-up Ariella Arida, and Miss Universe 2014 top 10 finalist Mary Jean Lastimosa praised her overall performance on Twitter. Pia even thanked Janine online.
Sure spot Philippines!!!! Pakkkk ang gown :))))— Mary Jean Lastimosa (@MJ_Lastimosa) December 17, 2015
How do you think Pia Wurtzbach did in the preliminary competition of Miss Universe 2015? Let us know in the comments! – Rappler.com
All screengrabs are taken from the livestream via missuniverse.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I’m not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
- N PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach’s official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- HIGHLIGHTS: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown