MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach officially started her reign on Monday, January 4, appearing on ABC’s Good Morning America two weeks after she was crowned in Las Vegas.
Pia said she still finds her historic triumph surreal, but added, “I’m so happy. I’m so excited, I can’t wait to start my reign.”
She said she got in touch with Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez, who was mistakenly crowned on December 20 because of host Steve Harvey’s mix up. Pia said Ariadna seemed to be doing well when she greeted her on her birthday on December 25.
“I understand how she feels, I’m also concerned [about] her. And I know that she’s a beautiful young lady, very talented, and I think that she’ll have a lot of other opportunities. She’ll do very well I’m sure,” Pia said.
She also gave a message for Ariadna’s fans who have criticized her in their social media posts.
“I understand what they feel, because of course they want their bet to win. So that’s completely understandable. If it [were] the other way around, I’m sure the Filipinos would also feel a little bit disappointed with the results,” she added.
Pia dismissed a suggestion made by US presidential candidate Donald Trump that she and Ariadna can share the crown.
“I think it would be a little bit difficult for two girls to share a crown. But I have high hopes this will give great opportunities for me and Miss Colombia, and the rest of the candidates,” she said.
She added she would love to be the next Bond girl but she will have to focus on her duties as Miss Universe.
Aside from raising awareness on HIV/AIDS as she vowed during the question and answer portion of the pagent, Pia said she also wants to raise awareness about relief operations for calamity-stricken areas and cyberbullying.
As for wearing the crown, Pia quipped: “It’s a little bit heavy, I’m not complaining. It can stay there for a long time.”
Pia’s triumph ended a 42-year drought for the Philippines in the prestigious pageant. She is the 3rd Miss Universe from the Philippines.
Here are some photos and behind the scenes from Pia’s visit to the show, where she was interviewed by Lara Spencer.
Pia also guested on LIVE with Kelly and Michael, where she met actor Samuel Jackson and The Bachelor‘s Ben Higgins. She was also given the opportunity do the Miss Universe walk on the show.
Other appearances include Inside Edition, where she showed her New York apartment, Extra, Access Hollywood, where she met actress Eva Longoria, Nightline, and Entertainment Tonight.
What do you think of what Pia Wurtzbach had to say during her first interview as Miss Universe? Let us know in the comments! – Rappler.com
More Miss Universe on Rappler:
- Stella Araneta on Miss U:’ I’m Colombian but I would choose Philippines’
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez speaks up on announcement mix-up
- Colombians burn Pia Wurtzbach, Steve Harvey effigies to ring in 2016
- Colombian apologizes over video of burning Pia Wurtzbach effigy
- Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach’s New Year message: ‘I’ve never been more proud to be a Filipina’
- See Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a doll
- Artist sketches Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach as a Disney princess
- Pia Wurtzbach to Miss Colombia: Fate has a plan for you
- WATCH: Miss Universe Germany upset over PH win
- PH’s Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe 2015
- Mix-up seen ’round the universe: Host Steve Harvey announces wrong winner
- WATCH: Miss Philippines, Miss Colombia speak up on Miss Universe 2015 mix-up
- Pro-US bases? Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach should get a briefing, activists say
- What happened? Netizens chime in on #MissUniverse2015 mixup
- WATCH: Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach’s triumphant winning moment
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2015 coronation night
- Palace, politicians: Thank you, Pia, for this Christmas gift
- Miss Universe 2015 predictions: Who will win the crown?
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach sends out message before finals
- Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach asks #AlDub fans: Support me
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe 2015 candidates share makeup-free selfies
- LOOK: Miss Universe PH 2015 Pia Wurtzbach’s national costume
- IN PHOTOS: A glimpse of the national costumes at Miss Universe 2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH Pia Wurtzbach at Miss Universe preliminaries
- Miss Universe 2015: Miss Myanmar recovers from preliminary competition stumble
- Photo recap: Miss Universe 2015 preliminary competition
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I’m not going to waste my victory
- Miss Universe 2015 pageant gets a confirmed date
- 5 things to know about Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach
- IN PHOTOS: Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach’s official Miss Universe photos
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach wins Miss Universe PH crown
- IN PHOTOS: Recap, Miss Universe 2014-2015 coronation
- HIGHLIGHTS: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night