Bb Pilipinas releases statement on Stella Araneta, PH designers
MANILA, Philippines – Binibining Pilipinas Charities Incorporated (BPCI) has released a statement regarding the recent controversy surrounding chairperson Stella Araneta's comments about Filipino designers.
In a statement posted on their Facebook page, Bb Pilipinas said that Stella understands the passion of the designers to dress the candidates for the different pageant events.
There were no promises about whether designers would be selected for the international stage, but Bb Pilipinas said that Stella was "open to the creations and designs of these brilliant Filipino talents."
Below is the statement in full:
Stella enlisted the services of Colombian designer Alfredo Barraza to create the outfits worn by Miss Philippines MJ Lastimosa at the Miss Universe pageant – and both the national costume and evening gown were panned by fans and social media users. (PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa’s national costume at Miss Universe)
In an earlier interview, Stella said that the reason why she turned to foreign designers over the years was because she wasn't satisfied with what was presented to her locally.
Fashion designers were not pleased with the comments – prominent designer Rajo Laurel posted a sketch of his design, and Eric Delos Santos and Cherry Veric, along with other talents, previously shared their sentiments via social media and in an interview with StyleBible.ph.
"Ms. Stella Araneta saying that the designs given to her are not good enough for the candidates, is an insult to us and the local fashion industry. Not at par with Colombian designer? Just look at what happened to MJ's national costume and evening gown-poor execution and outdated as many have described. Many Filipino designers have already gained international recognitions and have won in competitions; so it baffles me that no one is good enough for her," Eric said.
"I understand where Ms. Araneta is coming from with regards to her decision in the past to go abroad to find what she felt would be a better designer. To be fair to her, we have had a stellar performance at the Ms. Universe pageants throughout the years, and that is because of her efforts. It seems to me, however, that the times have changed. There are many more talented Filipino designers now and I am sure that our designs can occupy a proud place among the works of others anywhere on the planet. We have designs that can make not just Ms. Stella Araneta proud, but everyone else who believes in the beauty of global Filipino," Cherry said.
In Araneta's defense
In a new interview, MJ defended Stella, saying that she was "like a mother" to her and that whatever MJ wears would have to be approved by the boss. (WATCH: MJ Lastimosa on Stella Araneta, national costume controversy)
"The chance that's she's [Stella Araneta] giving for every Filipina to represent the country at the Miss Universe stage, is something that we all should be thankful for kasi pag nandoon ka (when you are there), you showcase your country," she said.
- FULL RECAP: Miss Universe 2014-2015
- IN PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa's journey to Miss Universe pageant
- Despite Miss Universe loss, Miss PH MJ Lastimosa grateful, 'filled with love'
- LIVE BLOG: Miss Universe 2014 coronation night
- Miss Colombia Paulina Vega crowned Miss Universe, full list of winners
- Miss PH MJ Lastimosa fails to make it to top 5 of Miss Universe
- MJ Lastimosa among top 15 at Miss Universe 2014
- Miss Universe 2014 predictions: Will MJ Lastimosa win for PH?
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa’s national costume at Miss Universe
- Stella Araneta defends MJ Lastimosa’s national costume
- PHOTOS: Miss PH MJ Lastimosa shines at Miss Universe preliminaries
- WATCH: MJ Lastimosa ready to rep PH in Miss Universe pageant
- PHOTO RECAP: 63rd Miss Universe preliminary competition
- PHOTOS: MJ Lastimosa’s Bb Pilipinas 2014 journey
- WATCH: MJ Lastimosa on Stella Araneta, national costume controversy