8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Globe 2016 Nichole Manalo
MANILA, Philippines – From the start of Binibining Pilipinas 2016, Nichole Manalo has been tagged as one of the frontrunners to become the next Miss Universe Philippines. At the conclusion of the coronation night, however, she was crowned as Bb Pilipinas Globe.
With Ann Colis as the reigning Miss Globe, Nichole found herself taking on a mission to give the nation a back-to-back title.
She is the sister of beauty queens Kate and Bianca who represented the country in Miss World and Miss Universe, and now, Nichole is ready to represent the Philippines at the Miss Globe pageant in Canada this year.
Let's get to know more about the youngest Manalo sister.
1. She is a nurse by profession. Like her batchmate Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental Jennifer Hammond, Nichole is also a nursing graduate. She studied at the Manila Tytana Colleges (formerly Manila Doctors College) and was working in a government hospital before entering the pageant.
2. This is her second try in Binibining Pilipinas. She is known for being Bianca and Kate's youngest sister, but she is also a familiar face in Binibining Pilipinas. Nichole first tried her luck in the pageant in 2014.
In an interview on Tonight with Boy Abunda, Nichole said, "Nung first ko, parang pressured ako. Kasi coming from a family of beauty queens, parang kailangan sundan ko..."
(On my first [try], I felt really pressured. Coming from a family of beauty queens, I really felt I needed to follow in their footsteps.)
"Nung first kong try, parang kabado ako na what if hindi ko masundan yung winning streak ng pamilya ko. May pressure po," she said. "Pero ngayong second na sali ko, inenjoy ko na lang siya. Pinag-pray ko po kung sasali ako pa ako ulit or hindi."
(During my first try, I felt really nervous, like what if I break the winning streak of my family. There is pressure. But during my second try, I just enjoyed myself. I even prayed if I was going to join or not.)
Nichole even shared that she prayed for a sign that if Pia Wurtzbach won Miss Universe, she would join again. And true enough, Pia won the title.
3. She dedicates her win to her dad. Like her sister Bianca, Nichole also credits her late father Rodrigo Manalo for being the beauty queen that she is today. She even posted a message for him after winning Bb Pilipinas Globe.
"Daddy!!! Sabi ko sa'yo pagdalaw ko ulit may crown na ko eh... (I told you that the next time I visit [your grave], I would have a crown with me...) Yeeeey!!!"
Because sunday will always be a family day for the Manalos. I visited you to remind you that despite my busy schedule, i would always make time for you. But you really are the best!!! Seeing that horn reminded me, that eventhough you are not here anymore.... You will always be and forever be my number 1 fan! One more week, daddy!!!! Thank you for giving me enough strength and courage to fight for OUR dream. Tomorrow is April 11. I miss you!!! And yes, this one is for all of you. -bunsoy
4. She is a doting aunt. Nichole loves spending time with her sisters' children.
5. She is good friends with Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental 2014 Kris Janson. She's close with Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental 2014 and Miss Intercontinental 2014 2nd runner-up Kris Janson. They have even traveled and done gym sessions together.
6. On her Q&A answer in Bb Pilipinas. In an interview with Boy Abunda, Nichole said that she will not change her answer to the question about "the toughest challenge that a Filipina [her] age faces nowadays."
On coronation night, she answered, "For me, the toughest challenge that a Filipina woman today faces is to be courageous, determined, and resilient."
"Ang akin, kaya ko siya madaling nasagot kasi, technically, as in dine-describe ko doon as a Modern Filipina is ako. And for me, masasagot mo lang yung Q&A, 'pag kilala mo ang sarili mo and alam mo ang sinasabi mo. So ako po yung dine-describe ko diyan," she told Boy Abunda.
(For me, the reason I was able to answer it because, technically, I was describing myself as a Modern Filipina in that context. And for me, you'll only be able to answer the Q&A when you know yourself and if you know what you're saying. So I'm just describing myself there.)
7. Her pasarela has been dubbed as the "kiti-kiti" walk. When asked what her pasarela (beauty pageant walk) is called, Nichole named it the "kiti-kiti" walk.
8. On the possibility of entering showbiz: In an interview on Wazzup.ph, Nichole fielded questions about following Bianca's footsteps in showbiz.
"Actually, I'm not closing my doors in going into showbusiness. But as of now, yung heart ko po talaga is into service as all you know, I'm a nurse," she said."
"Dream ko ito, but yung pagiging nurse is my profession. Sa tingin ko lagi akong babalik sa profession ko pero pag may offer, why not? Try natin."
(This is my dream, but being a nurse is my profession. I think I'll always go back to that, but if there's an offer, why not? Let's give it a try.)
As a nurse, Nichole shared that her advocacy leans towards universal access to health care, saying, "Having the chance to work for the government... Nakikita ko yung (I see the) limited access of everyone to quality healthcare. So ang advocacy ko (my advocacy) is to provide everyone universal quality health care."
More on Bb Pilipinas 2016:
- Maxine Medina crowned Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- FULL LIST: Winners, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Photo recap: Highlights, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's emotional speech at Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's farewell walk at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- WATCH: Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina's Bb Pilipinas Q&A
- WATCH: The moment Maxine Medina became Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 evening gown competition at coronation night
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 swimsuit competition at coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Stars at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Predictions and live blog:
- Bb Pilipinas 2016 predictions: Who will follow Pia Wurtzbach?
- LIVE UPDATES: Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Kylie Verzosa tops Rappler poll on Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Leading up to coronation night:
- IN PHOTOS: 40 Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates walk the runway at press presentation
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 official swimsuit photos
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas talent show 2016
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 national costume competition
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates in casual wear fashion show
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 Parade of Beauties
Get to know the ladies:
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Supranational 2016 Joanna Eden
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Intercontinental 2016 Jennifer Hammond
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas Grand International 2016 Nicole Cordoves
- 8 fun facts: Bb Pilipinas International 2016 Kylie Verzosa
- 9 fun facts: Miss Universe Philippines 2016 Maxine Medina
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the candidates of Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- FULL LIST: Binibining Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- Pia Wurtzbach's advice for Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's sassy assessment of Bb Pilipinas 2016 hopefuls
- WATCH: 'Star-struck' Pia Wurtzbach meets Manny Pacquiao
- Pia Wurtzbach confirms she's dating Dr. Mike, shares more details
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares story behind famous 'Ako bahala, babawi tayo sa Miss U' tweet
- What's next for the Bb Pilipinas 2016 queens
- Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina on the challenge of a back-to-back win
- Nichole Manalo on her Bb Pilipinas Globe 2016 crown
- Beauty queens Bianca, Kate Manalo support younger sister's 2nd Bb Pilipinas bid
- Search for Binibining Pilipinas 2016 begins