Photo wRap: #SONA2013, #RoyalBaby, Lebron
MANILA, Philippines - July 21-27, 2013 was a news-filled week!
In case you've been hiding under the rock the past couple of days, you need not wonder what you've missed. Here's a list of what happened, in photos.
1. A photo of a Dutch national, who joined a rally to protest the State of the Nation Address (SONA) last Monday, July 22, shouting at a policeman went viral.
2. Jeane Napoles, 23, the younger daughter of Janet Lim-Napoles, deactivated her social media accounts shortly after her mother was named the person behind an alleged multi-billion-peso pork barrel scam.
The controversy put the young lady's lifestyle – lavish by most standards – in the spotlight.
3. The woman at the center of the alleged pork barrel scam partied and rubbed elbows with lawmakers, indicating she's more than an acquaintance to them.
Photos obtained by Rappler show businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, owner of the JLN Group of Companies, and some of her family members attending a party apparently hosted by Sen Jinggoy Estrada.
4. Philippine President Benigno Aquino III delivered his fourth State of the Nation Address Monday.
The event became a fashion runway, as much as it was a political event.
Who do you think was the best dresser? See IN PHOTOS: #SONA2013 fashion
5. If the nation had a face, what would it look like?
Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram users from all over the country sent in photos using #SelfieoftheNation that MovePH compiled to build a map of the Philippines.
See full image here: "The image of the country according to netizens"
6. Cagayan De Oro City was rocked by an explosion late Friday night, at around 11:10 pm, July 26. It killed at least 6 and injured 48 others, police and local officials said Saturday, July 27.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge produced a bouncing baby boy Monday.
The world got its first glimpse of the royal baby after Prince William and his wife Kate left St. Mary's Hospital with their newborn son Tuesday evening, July 23.
The couple named their son George Alexander Louis on Wednesday, July 24.
8. Kate Middleton was wearing polka dots when the world first saw Prince George, just like Princess Diana when the world first caught a glimpse of Prince William.
Photo courtesy: National Post
9. But of course, some social media users can't let this moment pass without a meme.
10. In a show that turned haters into fans, LeBron James "rapped," dunked and charmed his way into the crowd in the Nike Witness History tour on Tuesday, July 23, at the Mall of Asia Arena.
See IN PHOTOS: Lebron rocks Manila and #WitnessHistory: Video highlights
11. Koreen Medina of Quezon City took home the Mutya ng Pilipinas Asia Pacific 2013 title. The Mutya ng Pilipinas pageant night was held Friday, July 26, at NBC Tent, Taguig.
12. The PhilPop 2013 held Saturday, July 20, at the Meralco Theater celebrated Pinoy pride through music and lyrics that celebrate the Filipino identity.
13. Here's a photo of Cristeta Comerford, the first female White House executive chef, beside a smiling Michelle Obama.
Doesn't it just make you proud to be Filipino?
14. During Dolphy's birth anniversary Thursday, July 25, a marionette closely resembling the widely celebrated comedian was "introduced" to his widow, Zsa Zsa Padilla, at the Museo Pambata where a statue of the comedy king also stands.
15. A photo of US President Barack Obama holding an adorable baby went viral on the internet Monday.
16. Pop diva Lady Gaga has made headlines for her flamboyant and controversial outfits. But now, she has stripped down to her birthday suit for a photoshoot for V Magazine.
17. Model and television host Heidi Klum has recently been posting daring photos on social media.
See more here: Heidi Klum goes topless
What did we miss? Leave a comment below. - Stacy de Jesus/Rappler.com